    index file?

    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul Watt, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Paul Watt

    DoobieDo Guest

    In article <dpegdt$185$>,
    cleared their throat and muttered...
    > Hi Guys,

    Hello,

    > I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with my
    > site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is do I have
    > to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to alter the PHP
    > index file?

    you'll get some sensible answers here, but you'll probably get even more asking
    questions at: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/

    --
    Doobie Doobie Do, da da di da da

    DoobieDo, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Paul Watt

    Mark Goodge Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:39:57 -0000, Paul Watt put finger to keyboard
    and typed:

    >Hi Guys,
    >I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with my
    >site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is do I have
    >to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to alter the PHP
    >index file?

    You need to create a custom template. You don't need to alter the main
    PHP code at all, either in index.php or anywhere else.

    Read the documentation on the phpbb website, it's pretty
    comprehensive.

    Mark
    --
    http://www.GoogleFun.info - fun and games with Google!
    "Life is bigger, it's bigger than you"

    Mark Goodge, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    > I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with
    > my site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is
    > do I have to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to
    > alter the PHP index file?

    The former, and be prepared for a lot of "fun"

    --
    John Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
    or have them custom made

    John Bokma, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma <> wrote:

    > "Paul Watt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >> I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with
    >> my site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is
    >> do I have to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to
    >> alter the PHP index file?

    > The former, and be prepared for a lot of "fun"

    Oh, and mess around as in: make a copy of them, and modify those.

    John Bokma, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Paul Watt

    trevor Guest

    i'd recommend starting with the SubOracle template. It's a very simple
    stylesheet controlled tempate with not a single image used in design
    composition. this makes it very easy to do whatever you want to do with it.

    trevor, Jan 3, 2006
  7. John Bokma wrote

    > "Paul Watt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >> I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with
    >> my site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is
    >> do I have to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to
    >> alter the PHP index file?

    > The former, and be prepared for a lot of "fun"

    Particularly at upgrade time!

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Charles Sweeney <> wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote
    >
    >> "Paul Watt" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Guys,
    >>> I'm using PhpBB and I want to customise it to fit it seamlessly with
    >>> my site. I dont want to use an iFrame to integrate it. my question is
    >>> do I have to mess around with the subsilver templates or do I have to
    >>> alter the PHP index file?

    >> The former, and be prepared for a lot of "fun"

    > Particularly at upgrade time!

    Don't get me started :-( A day before 2.0.19 came out I decided to add
    Quick Reply manually (oh the pain) to 2.0.18. Ha ha ha.

    John Bokma, Jan 4, 2006
  9. John Bokma wrote

    > Charles Sweeney <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote

    with

    is

    >>> The former, and be prepared for a lot of "fun"

    >> Particularly at upgrade time!

    > Don't get me started

    LOL!! I share your pain!

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    Charles Sweeney <> wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote
    >
    >> Charles Sweeney <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> John Bokma wrote

    > with

    > is

    >>> Particularly at upgrade time!

    >> Don't get me started

    > LOL!! I share your pain!

    Another painful experience was when I convinced a friend to drop her
    friend as a hosting solution, also because you could use phpmysqladmin (or
    whatever it's called) without a password (!).

    Anyway, uploading a phpbb database to a new host turned out not to be a
    piece of cake. I have no idea why uploading a mysql database with 100,000+
    records should take a lifetime and more. (The webbased thingies couldn't
    handle it, so I connected with the mysql client, hurray for the CLI).

    If anyone has tips to speed things up?

    i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart way),
    but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do something like
    this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that slow in the past.

    John Bokma, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    Fleeing from the madness of the Castle Amber - software development jungle
    John Bokma <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > Charles Sweeney <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote

    >> with

    >> is

    >>> Don't get me started

    >> LOL!! I share your pain!

    > Another painful experience was when I convinced a friend to drop her
    > friend as a hosting solution, also because you could use phpmysqladmin
    > (or
    > whatever it's called) without a password (!).

    "also" or just? - are you saying there's a serious flaw in MySQL or the
    admin app, or perhaps in that particular installation?

    > Anyway, uploading a phpbb database to a new host turned out not to be a
    > piece of cake. I have no idea why uploading a mysql database with
    > 100,000+
    > records should take a lifetime and more. (The webbased thingies couldn't
    > handle it,

    timeout or some other issue?

    ? so I connected with the mysql client, hurray for the CLI).

    heh - and open 'firewalls'

    > If anyone has tips to speed things up?
    >
    > i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    > locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart way),

    assuming a db made up of several interlinked tables, it has to be that way

    > but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do something
    > like
    > this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that slow in the past.

    well, it's building all the indexes on the fly and that is an expensive
    process.

    Personally, I like the SQL Server method of storing each db in a separate
    disk file that can be copied and attached to a new engine. Not that this
    helps you in any way.
    --
    William Tasso

    Save the drama
    for your Mama.

    William Tasso, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    "William Tasso" <> wrote:

    > Fleeing from the madness of the Castle Amber - software development
    > jungle John Bokma <> stumbled into
    > and said:

    [ ... ]

    >> Another painful experience was when I convinced a friend to drop her
    >> friend as a hosting solution, also because you could use
    >> phpmysqladmin (or
    >> whatever it's called) without a password (!).

    > "also" or just? - are you saying there's a serious flaw in MySQL or
    > the admin app, or perhaps in that particular installation?

    Or in the friend who provided the hosting :-D. Also, because the friend
    was complaining about hacking attempts. Things were suddenly gone. I
    doubted that she really got hacked, I mean, a hacker is probably not
    going to erase the smiley table :-D On the other hand, odd things did
    happen, but sounded me more like MySQL acting weird.

    >> records should take a lifetime and more. (The webbased thingies
    >> couldn't handle it,

    > timeout or some other issue?

    timeout, yeah. Another thing which I noticed, if the mysql has an error
    (which it had, the phpbb_users got 2 fields added in 2.0.19) you don't
    get a message (I didn't).

    > ? so I connected with the mysql client, hurray for the CLI).
    >
    > heh - and open 'firewalls'

    Well, I had to add my IP to the "allowed to connect" of course (and
    remove it).

    >> If anyone has tips to speed things up?
    >>
    >> i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    >> locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart
    >> way),

    > assuming a db made up of several interlinked tables, it has to be that
    > way

    Yes, but I think it takes locally like 40+ minutes (ah, I already said
    so).

    >> but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do something
    >> like
    >> this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that slow in the past.

    > well, it's building all the indexes on the fly and that is an
    > expensive process.

    Yeah, but like I said, I have the feeling that an older version of Mysql
    didn't have this problem. I'll check when I have time (have another
    computer with an older install).

    > Personally, I like the SQL Server method of storing each db in a
    > separate disk file that can be copied and attached to a new engine.
    > Not that this helps you in any way.

    :-D. Ah, well, her board is up and running, everybody is happy, etc. I
    am now admin for 3 boards...

    It's like the "good" old days, when people bought a computer, and called
    me for support :-( (And Oh boy, wasn't it a smart move to have an Acorn
    Archimedes, and not a PC, so I could safely say that my computer was
    very, very different).

    John Bokma, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    John Bokma wrote

    > If anyone has tips to speed things up?
    >
    > i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    > locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart
    > way), but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do
    > something like this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that slow
    > in the past.

    I experimented once using mysql from the command line. I was impressed by
    how fast it was, compared with phpmyadmin.

    I had the same problem when trying to reinstall a lot of data through
    phpmyadmin, it was either timing out on me, or giving errors (can't
    remember exactly).

    For my command-line test I was using a local data file, so in the example
    you gave, you would still have to upload it somehow. I suppose then the
    question is what is the quickest way to do this, ftp, wget, other?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Jan 5, 2006
  14. Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
    Charles Sweeney <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > John Bokma wrote
    >
    >> If anyone has tips to speed things up?

    > For my command-line test I was using a local data file, so in the example
    > you gave, you would still have to upload it somehow. I suppose then the
    > question is what is the quickest way to do this, ftp, wget, other?

    sneakernet :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

    --
    William Tasso

    Save the drama
    for your Mama.

    William Tasso, Jan 5, 2006
  15. Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    William Tasso wrote

    > Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
    > Charles Sweeney <> stumbled into
    > and said:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote
    >>
    >>> If anyone has tips to speed things up?

    >> For my command-line test I was using a local data file, so in the
    >> example you gave, you would still have to upload it somehow. I
    >> suppose then the question is what is the quickest way to do this,
    >> ftp, wget, other?

    > sneakernet :)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

    That's a new term on me. I like that method, it means I also get a trip
    to Texas when I "upload" data!

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Jan 5, 2006
  16. Paul Watt

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Charles Sweeney <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote

    >> with

    >> is

    >>> Don't get me started

    >> LOL!! I share your pain!

    > Another painful experience was when I convinced a friend to drop her
    > friend as a hosting solution, also because you could use phpmysqladmin (or
    > whatever it's called) without a password (!).
    >
    > Anyway, uploading a phpbb database to a new host turned out not to be a
    > piece of cake. I have no idea why uploading a mysql database with 100,000+
    > records should take a lifetime and more. (The webbased thingies couldn't
    > handle it, so I connected with the mysql client, hurray for the CLI).
    >
    > If anyone has tips to speed things up?
    >
    > i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    > locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart way),
    > but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do something like
    > this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that slow in the past.

    This isn't going to help, but I get between 5000 and 10000 inserts per
    second on our server when doing that.

    Did it have a full-text index by any chance?

    --
    Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem, Jan 5, 2006
  17. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    "William Tasso" <> wrote:

    > Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
    > Charles Sweeney <> stumbled into
    > and said:
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote
    >>
    >>> If anyone has tips to speed things up?

    >> For my command-line test I was using a local data file, so in the
    >> example you gave, you would still have to upload it somehow. I
    >> suppose then the question is what is the quickest way to do this,
    >> ftp, wget, other?

    > sneakernet :)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

    Ha ha ha. Prohibitive expensive, and slow in this case. I knew a guy who
    always told people he used sneakernet for music sharing :-D. He let other
    people do the hard work, and what he got from one he shared with another,
    to get the other guys stuff, and vice versa :-D.

    John Bokma, Jan 5, 2006
  18. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    Charles Sweeney <> wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote
    >
    >> If anyone has tips to speed things up?
    >>
    >> i.e mysql -ufoo -p -database bar < dump.sql takes ages and ages, even
    >> locally. I know that the inserts are done one by one (not the smart
    >> way), but why my harddisk is spinning for 20-30 minutes when I do
    >> something like this is beyond me. Can't remember that it was that
    >> slow in the past.

    > I experimented once using mysql from the command line. I was
    > impressed by how fast it was, compared with phpmyadmin.
    >
    > I had the same problem when trying to reinstall a lot of data through
    > phpmyadmin, it was either timing out on me, or giving errors (can't
    > remember exactly).
    >
    > For my command-line test I was using a local data file, so in the
    > example you gave, you would still have to upload it somehow. I
    > suppose then the question is what is the quickest way to do this, ftp,
    > wget, other?

    By looking at the local run, 5M of data takes like 40 minutes to get
    inserted, I would say that the upload time isn't the problem. I will time
    it exactly later today, and compare my old mysql install with the new one.

    John Bokma, Jan 5, 2006
  19. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    Brian Wakem <> wrote:

    [ slow mysql < file.sql )

    > This isn't going to help, but I get between 5000 and 10000 inserts per
    > second on our server when doing that.

    That sounds like the old speed I saw.

    > Did it have a full-text index by any chance?

    Not that I know, I think phpBB does it's own indexing (the table with
    100,000 entries is to associate words and entries, from a quick peek).

    I'll test later today, and post my experience here :-D

    John Bokma, Jan 5, 2006
  20. Paul Watt

    Paul Ding Guest

    Re: Mysql slow (was Re: phpBB)

    On 5 Jan 2006 19:48:31 GMT, John Bokma <> posted
    something that included:

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

    >Ha ha ha. Prohibitive expensive, and slow in this case.

    Never underestimate the bandwidth of an airliner with a belly full of
    CD-ROMs.

    (With thanks to Dennis Ritchie)
    --
    If we're losing 40-130 species a day,