Picking Up Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by rbt, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. rbt

    rbt Guest

    Hi guys,

    I'm a moderately proficient C/Python programmer looking to learn Perl
    for Windows programming. I don't know enough about Perl in general to
    know whether or not I like it, but if the language is like the concept
    behind it, I think I will. Python is great and I'm very well versed in
    it, but I need a bit more freedom... if you know what I mean.

    What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
    Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
    proper books over online only material. Also, what's up with ActiveState
    managing the Windows release? Could they close up shop and cause
    problems for Perl on Windows? Total newbie here... just curious.

    Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5? Will
    knowledge gained in 5 carry over to 6 or will I have to re-learn things
    that have been implemented differently?

    Sorry if this off-topic here. Many thanks to all for advice.

    rbt
    rbt, Dec 20, 2005

  2. rbt <> wrote in

    > what's up with ActiveState managing the Windows release?

    They are not managing the Windows release: They are providing a binary
    distribution that is easy to install. There are others who provide binary
    distributions for Windows.

    > Could they close up shop and cause problems for Perl on Windows?

    How could they cause problems? Anyone can compile a distribution. AS are
    providing a service that makes it very convenient for those of us who do
    not want to bother with compiling from source, and also managing
    repository of ready-to-install packages, but they are hardly controlling
    or managing Perl on Windows.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Dec 20, 2005

  3. rbt

    rbt Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > rbt <> wrote in
    >
    >> what's up with ActiveState managing the Windows release?

    > They are not managing the Windows release: They are providing a binary
    > distribution that is easy to install. There are others who provide binary
    > distributions for Windows.
    >
    >> Could they close up shop and cause problems for Perl on Windows?

    > How could they cause problems? Anyone can compile a distribution. AS are
    > providing a service that makes it very convenient for those of us who do
    > not want to bother with compiling from source, and also managing
    > repository of ready-to-install packages, but they are hardly controlling
    > or managing Perl on Windows.
    >
    > Sinan

    OK, just a misunderstanding... you got the part about me being new to
    Perl on Windows, right? I'm just trying to some answers from those in
    the know, that's all.
    rbt, Dec 20, 2005
  4. rbt

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "rbt" <> wrote in message

    > What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
    > Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
    > proper books over online only material.

    Learning Perl on Win32
    Win32 Perl Scripting: The Administrator's Handbook
    Win32 Perl Programming: The Standard Extensions
    Programming Perl in the .Net Environment

    The only one I've looked at (i.e., can give an opinion on) is Win32 Perl
    Scripting, which gave me some ideas but is hardly a beginner's book.

    > Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5?

    Don't waste your time worrying about Perl6. Perl 5 is going to be the
    standard for a long time to come and Perl 6 will be able to run Perl 5 code.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Dec 20, 2005
  5. rbt

    Sisyphus Guest

    "rbt" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..

    > What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
    > Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
    > proper books over online only material.

    I have Dave Roth's 'Win32 Perl Programming: The Standard Extensions'. From
    your description, I think you would find it useful. He has also written a
    subsequent book on Win32 perl programming. See http://www.roth.net/perl/ .
    O'Reilly might also publish a Win32-specific (perl) book or 2 .... not sure.
    ..
    ..

    > Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5? Will
    > knowledge gained in 5 carry over to 6 or will I have to re-learn things
    > that have been implemented differently?

    A bit of both, I believe. Much is the same, but some things will be
    different.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Dec 20, 2005
  6. rbt

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <GX%pf.1626$>, Matt Garrish
    <> wrote:

    > "rbt" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
    > > Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
    > > proper books over online only material.

    > Learning Perl on Win32

    There's not much point in getting "Learning Perl on Win32" anymore.
    We worked hard to remove the unix-bias from "Learning Perl" so you
    can get the latest version and use it no matter which platform you
    decide to use. :)

    --
    brian d foy,
    Subscribe to The Perl Review: http://www.theperlreview.com