Picking Up Perl

rbt

Hi guys,

I'm a moderately proficient C/Python programmer looking to learn Perl
for Windows programming. I don't know enough about Perl in general to
know whether or not I like it, but if the language is like the concept
behind it, I think I will. Python is great and I'm very well versed in
it, but I need a bit more freedom... if you know what I mean.

What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
proper books over online only material. Also, what's up with ActiveState
managing the Windows release? Could they close up shop and cause
problems for Perl on Windows? Total newbie here... just curious.

Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5? Will
knowledge gained in 5 carry over to 6 or will I have to re-learn things
that have been implemented differently?

Sorry if this off-topic here. Many thanks to all for advice.

rbt

A. Sinan Unur

what's up with ActiveState managing the Windows release?

They are not managing the Windows release: They are providing a binary
distribution that is easy to install. There are others who provide binary
distributions for Windows.
Could they close up shop and cause problems for Perl on Windows?

How could they cause problems? Anyone can compile a distribution. AS are
providing a service that makes it very convenient for those of us who do
not want to bother with compiling from source, and also managing
repository of ready-to-install packages, but they are hardly controlling
or managing Perl on Windows.

Sinan

rbt

A. Sinan Unur said:
They are not managing the Windows release: They are providing a binary
distribution that is easy to install. There are others who provide binary
distributions for Windows.

How could they cause problems? Anyone can compile a distribution. AS are
providing a service that makes it very convenient for those of us who do
not want to bother with compiling from source, and also managing
repository of ready-to-install packages, but they are hardly controlling
or managing Perl on Windows.

Sinan

OK, just a misunderstanding... you got the part about me being new to
Perl on Windows, right? I'm just trying to some answers from those in
the know, that's all.

Matt Garrish

rbt said:
What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
proper books over online only material.

Learning Perl on Win32
Win32 Perl Scripting: The Administrator's Handbook
Win32 Perl Programming: The Standard Extensions
Programming Perl in the .Net Environment

The only one I've looked at (i.e., can give an opinion on) is Win32 Perl
Scripting, which gave me some ideas but is hardly a beginner's book.
Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5?

Don't waste your time worrying about Perl6. Perl 5 is going to be the
standard for a long time to come and Perl 6 will be able to run Perl 5 code.

Matt

Sisyphus

..
..
What books (if any) target Perl on Windows? I need info on accessing the
Windows API, creating services, managing processes, etc and I prefer
proper books over online only material.

I have Dave Roth's 'Win32 Perl Programming: The Standard Extensions'. From
your description, I think you would find it useful. He has also written a
subsequent book on Win32 perl programming. See http://www.roth.net/perl/ .
O'Reilly might also publish a Win32-specific (perl) book or 2 .... not sure.
..
..
Also, what impact will Perl 6 have on the things I learn in Perl 5? Will
knowledge gained in 5 carry over to 6 or will I have to re-learn things
that have been implemented differently?

A bit of both, I believe. Much is the same, but some things will be
different.

Cheers,
Rob

brian d foy

Matt Garrish said:
Learning Perl on Win32

There's not much point in getting "Learning Perl on Win32" anymore.
We worked hard to remove the unix-bias from "Learning Perl" so you
can get the latest version and use it no matter which platform you
decide to use. :)