    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
    Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Re: Place Overlapping Division on Top - correction

    I have read the following message from "Dennis M. Marks"
    <>
    and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

    The writer said:
    > I have created a menu within a division that is initially invisible.
    > When I click a spot on the screen it toggles between visible and
    > invisible. That part works fine. My problem is that in Netscape parts
    > of it appear under other divisions. In IE it works fine. How can I
    > force it to the top. Due to the way my page is constructed it must be
    > the first division created. I know that if it was last it would
    > probably work.
    >
    > --
    > Dennis M. Marks
    > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
    > Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

    and my reply is:
    After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
    under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
    force it to the top.

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Dennis M. Marks

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Re: Place Overlapping Division on Top - correction

    "Dennis M. Marks" <> wrote in

    > After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
    > under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
    > force it to the top.

    Somebody (I forget whom) posted something very much like this to another
    group in the last few days (if it was in fact you, then shame on you for
    multiposting). The answer was that many browsers draw form elements using
    standard controls from the OS's windowing system, and those controls have a
    higher precedence in the windowing system's z-order (as opposed to the
    browser canvas' z-order) than anything the browser draws, so they always
    come out on top of anything the browser can draw.

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Re: Place Overlapping Division on Top - correction

    > > I have created a menu within a division that is initially invisible.
    > > When I click a spot on the screen it toggles between visible and
    > > invisible. That part works fine. My problem is that in Netscape parts
    > > of it appear under other divisions. In IE it works fine. How can I
    > > force it to the top. Due to the way my page is constructed it must be
    > > the first division created. I know that if it was last it would
    > > probably work.
    > >

    > After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
    > under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
    > force it to the top.

    Well I partially solved the problem. Using z-index:10 in css forces the
    division to the top. Now my only problem is that a single horizontal
    scrool bar on a form select box appears on top. Just the slider,
    nothing else. How can I turn the horizontal scroll off but leave the
    vertical scroll on?

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Dennis M. Marks

    Steve R. Guest

    Dennis M. Marks wrote in message ...
    > I have created a menu ....

    Nothing to do with your query, BUT on this page there is no scrollbar for
    the long results list in the right-hand iframe, so it's not possible to
    read the results at the bottom.

    Here ...
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/amtrak.html

    Steve R., Feb 7, 2004