placement of other jars not in original in JDK download

Lew

Bob said:
Thanks to you all,for your help.

I close with these remarks.

Yes I was able to discover how
to direct my IDE to the path of the .POI jar
the respective jar containing the import.
There is a "preferences" tab
in the IDE which leads to a page
to enter any path to individual .POI jars
regardless of where it is.

There is also an ability to create a "library" that projects
can include, thus putting the JARs, and any associated Javadocs
and source, in the classpath and documentation path, respectively,
for your IDE build.
However in my sample
program there were items for which
that the .POI jar did not
have some objects written in the
sample. This sample program might have been written
in an earlier time when publishing of the
Apache .POI jar was not the same as
the latest version for download now. The
.POI archive is available but at a
sizable effort to discover which one it
was. Even after that, the program
might not access the version of Word
that wrote the .doc that I want to read.

The program doesn't access *any* version of Word.

It reads the .doc file directly.
So I close my quest with an observation of
a search in comp.lang.java.programmer

In a '07 post made by Raymond F Herrera
"I need to convert MSWord ".doc" files to plain data ".rtf" ones"
The OP writes in part:
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com [Roedy's site says:]
.POI is not what I would call
developer friendly. "

I completely disagree. I've used POI and it didn't give any trouble at all.

I observe from this thread that you have yet to learn about classpath,
setting up your IDE and how to communicate source code relevant to your
question. These are your handicaps, not POI.