Playing Sound Files

fuli open

I am writing an online English-Chinese dictionary, and there are sound
files for the Chinese words. When the sound file is played on the IE
browser, a Windows Media Player always comes up, covering the whole
screen. I wonder whether it is possible that the sound is played
without the appearance of the the Windows Media Player on the screen.
So the visitor can look at the words while listenig to the sound.

When opened with the Firefox browser, I am always asked that whether I
want to play the sound with the Windows Media Player. I have to
confirm to have the sound to be played. And the Windows Media Player
will also cover the whole screen. I wonder whether the sound can be
played directly. Following is the web page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/zhongwen/frame_a.html

Sorry for the foreign pronunciations.

JH

I am writing an online English-Chinese dictionary, and there are sound
files for the Chinese words. When the sound file is played on the IE
browser, a Windows Media Player always comes up, covering the whole
screen. I wonder whether it is possible that the sound is played
without the appearance of the the Windows Media Player on the screen.
So the visitor can look at the words while listenig to the sound.

When opened with the Firefox browser, I am always asked that whether I
want to play the sound with the Windows Media Player. I have to
confirm to have the sound to be played. And the Windows Media Player
will also cover the whole screen. I wonder whether the sound can be
played directly. Following is the web page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/zhongwen/frame_a.html

Sorry for the foreign pronunciations.

http://www.javascripter.net/faq/sound/play.htm

The above link may help you. It relies on Javascript. There is one
example where you click on a button to start and another to stop.

Bergamot

fuli said:
When opened with the Firefox browser, I am always asked that whether I
want to play the sound with the Windows Media Player.

This may be due to a MIME type (mis)configuration. The confirmation
dialog in Seamonkey says the .wma

"is likely to be of type audio/x-ms-wma (Windows Media Audio file)"

Note the "likely".

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Bergamot said:
This may be due to a MIME type (mis)configuration. The confirmation
dialog in Seamonkey says the .wma

"is likely to be of type audio/x-ms-wma (Windows Media Audio file)"

Note the "likely".

Since you mentioned it, I thought I'd check the MIME type closer. They
are actually sent (and probably also downloaded) as "text/plain", which
could also cause a problem.