sound file again

Discussion in 'HTML' started by fulio pen, Aug 12, 2011.

  1. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    Hello,

    Please open the following page and click the speaker icon in it:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/test_sound.html

    You will hear a sound in Chinese language for the word 'Albania'. The
    code for this sound is from the following page. After opening it,
    please move far down until seeing the 'Table V'. Listed in it are
    several sound files. Clicking them. NONE are working. No sound comes
    out at all.

    http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/gr2.html

    I am not able to find out what problem these sound files have. Code
    for all of them is exactly same as the one in first page above.

    Thanks again for your help.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Aug 12, 2011

  2. fulio pen

    123Jim Guest

    On 12/08/2011 15:17, fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Please open the following page and click the speaker icon in it:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/test_sound.html
    >
    > You will hear a sound in Chinese language for the word 'Albania'. The
    > code for this sound is from the following page. After opening it,
    > please move far down until seeing the 'Table V'. Listed in it are
    > several sound files. Clicking them. NONE are working. No sound comes
    > out at all.
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/gr2.html
    >
    > I am not able to find out what problem these sound files have. Code
    > for all of them is exactly same as the one in first page above.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.

    style="position:relative; left:10px;">

    ... in theory you can bring the table to the front with:
    z-index: 1000;
    or similar.

    123Jim, Aug 12, 2011

  3. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Aug 12, 12:05 pm, 123Jim <> wrote:
    > On 12/08/2011 15:17, fulio pen wrote:

    > style="position:relative; left:10px;">
    >
    > .. in theory you can bring the table to the front with:
    > z-index: 1000;
    > or similar.

    Thanks for help. Where is the z-index supposed to go? I place it at
    the end of the following line, but it doesn't work.

    #table_v {width:auto; height:auto; border-collapse:collapse; z-index:
    1000;}

    Please help again.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Aug 12, 2011
  4. fulio pen

    123Jim Guest

    On 12/08/2011 18:08, fulio pen wrote:
    > On Aug 12, 12:05 pm, 123Jim<> wrote:
    >> On 12/08/2011 15:17, fulio pen wrote:

    >> style="position:relative; left:10px;">
    >>
    >> .. in theory you can bring the table to the front with:
    >> z-index: 1000;
    >> or similar.

    > Thanks for help. Where is the z-index supposed to go? I place it at
    > the end of the following line, but it doesn't work.
    >
    > #table_v {width:auto; height:auto; border-collapse:collapse; z-index:
    > 1000;}
    >
    > Please help again.

    This is why I said 'in theory' I didn't get it to work on your page ...
    However instead of trying to bring the table to the front, send the Div
    containing the paragraph to the back like this:

    123Jim, Aug 12, 2011
  5. fulio pen

    123Jim Guest

    On 12/08/2011 20:50, 123Jim wrote:
    > On 12/08/2011 18:08, fulio pen wrote:
    >> On Aug 12, 12:05 pm, 123Jim<> wrote:
    >>> On 12/08/2011 15:17, fulio pen wrote:

    >>> style="position:relative; left:10px;">
    >>>
    >>> .. in theory you can bring the table to the front with:
    >>> z-index: 1000;
    >>> or similar.

    >> Thanks for help. Where is the z-index supposed to go? I place it at
    >> the end of the following line, but it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> #table_v {width:auto; height:auto; border-collapse:collapse; z-index:
    >> 1000;}
    >>
    >> Please help again.
    >>

    > This is why I said 'in theory' I didn't get it to work on your page ...
    > However instead of trying to bring the table to the front, send the Div
    > containing the paragraph to the back like this:

    If you don't wish to use z-index, you can move your table into the div
    containing the <p>s . That will also make the links in your table
    available for clicking.

    123Jim, Aug 14, 2011
  6. fulio pen

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 8/12/2011 10:17 AM, fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Please open the following page and click the speaker icon in it:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/test_sound.html
    >
    > You will hear a sound in Chinese language for the word 'Albania'. The
    > code for this sound is from the following page. After opening it,
    > please move far down until seeing the 'Table V'. Listed in it are
    > several sound files. Clicking them. NONE are working. No sound comes
    > out at all.
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/gr/gr2.html
    >
    > I am not able to find out what problem these sound files have. Code
    > for all of them is exactly same as the one in first page above.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.

    Specifically for your specific problem outlined.

    1.
    Congratulations in choosing the HTML5 doctype, however, you loose points
    in using old "align="left" (deprecated/obsolete) for your TABLE. Use
    "float:left;" instead.

    2.
    For your desire to space the text away from the TABLE, you chose to
    encompass the subsequent text in a DIV and to offset it with
    "left:10px;" which of course you enabled with "position:relative;". This
    Div and Attribute is the wrong approach and is not needed with 1. above.

    So, do the following:
    1.
    Remove the DIV (with its closing tag) encompassing the text following
    the TABLE, completely.
    2.
    Change <table id="table_v" align="left">
    to <table id="table_v" style="float:left;margin-right:10px;">

    where margin-right:10px; achieves your desire to space the text away by
    that amount from the TABLE. Better yet, instead of the style attribute,
    use the properties in your stylesheet.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Aug 15, 2011