[Please help] Cannnot connect ODBC

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Agnes, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Agnes

    Agnes Guest

    I got a ASP program in the server, it runs properly . However, As I run the
    web siste , click 'login' button.

    It return the following errors. It seems can't connect the database, I had
    stopped the IIS and run it again, (it still didn't work) , I use visual
    foxpro to check the database, everything is fine.

    Please help ~~

    a.. Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Cannot open file
    u:\cgl\vfpmaster\data\master.dbc.
    /cglwebpage/webbook/trackNTracing.asp, line 15

    b.. Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

    c.. Page:
    POST 38 bytes to /cglwebpage/webbook/trackNTracing.asp

    d.. POST Data:
    shcode=&password=&Submit=Login&Login=Y

    e.. Time:
    Saturday, January 31, 2004, 11:07:55 AM

    f.. More information:
    Microsoft Support
    --
    Thanks For Your kind Attention.

    Best Regards,

    Miss. Agnes Cheng

    Agnes, Jan 31, 2004

  2. "Agnes" <> wrote in message
    > I got a ASP program in the server, it runs properly . However, As I run

    the
    > web siste , click 'login' button.
    >
    > It return the following errors. It seems can't connect the database, I had
    > stopped the IIS and run it again, (it still didn't work) , I use visual
    > foxpro to check the database, everything is fine.
    >
    > Please help ~~
    >
    > Technical Information (for support personnel)
    >
    > a.. Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Cannot open file
    > u:\cgl\vfpmaster\data\master.dbc.
    > /cglwebpage/webbook/trackNTracing.asp, line 15
    >

    > b.. Browser Type:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    >
    > c.. Page:
    > POST 38 bytes to /cglwebpage/webbook/trackNTracing.asp
    >
    > d.. POST Data:
    > shcode=&password=&Submit=Login&Login=Y
    >
    > e.. Time:
    > Saturday, January 31, 2004, 11:07:55 AM
    >

    > f.. More information:
    > Microsoft Support
    > --
    > Thanks For Your kind Attention.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Miss. Agnes Cheng

    Probably a permissions issue. Ensure the anonymous user (Iusr_machinename)
    has full control permissions in u:\cgl\vfpmaster\data\master.dbc, once you
    have got it working you can experiment removing one permission at a time to
    see what you really need.

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses
    http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !

    John Blessing, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Agnes

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Is U: a mapped drive letter or a physical drive on the server?

    If it is mapped then the IUSR account does not have that mapping and you
    need to use the UNC path (\\<servername>\volume\...>

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Agnes

    Amol Guest

    Hi,

    I have a related problem. Using IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Home Edition.
    I'm putting up the website <a
    href="http://bugsonline.sourceforge.net/">bugsonline</a> bug tracking
    freeware.
    The site is in asp and uses an Access mdb file as the database.
    I have configured the ODBC DSN correctly. However when the first page
    tries to access the database for updating I get the error:
    Error Type:
    Provider (0x80004005)
    Unspecified error
    /html/login.asp, line 33

    In the source code (lines 32 and 33):
    32> Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    33> Conn.Open "bugs", , ""

    The problem is that sometimes the page gives an error at line 33
    and sometimes it goes further (I can see the db being updated when
    I open the mdb via Access) and fails at another DB call on line 70:

    69> Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    70> Conn.Open "bugs", , ""

    According to one suggestion I opened the file in Access and deselected
    the "record level locking" from Tools > Options > Advanced.

    Does anyone have an idea on how to get over this?
    Regards,
    ~ amol

    Amol, Feb 3, 2004

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

    John Blessing, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Amol,
    Don't know if this is your issue, but does the anonymous Web user have
    rights to write to the directory where the MDB lives? It needs to
    write a lock file.

    HTH,
    Mark

    http://www.idataconsultingservices.com - Multilingual Web Development
    http://www.synapsecm.com - Simple, Multilingual Content Management

    Mark Reichard, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Agnes

    Amol Guest

    (Mark Reichard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Amol,
    > Don't know if this is your issue, but does the anonymous Web user have
    > rights to write to the directory where the MDB lives? It needs to
    > write a lock file.

    Well, the problem is of the "works sometimes but not always" type.
    I believe the lock file should not be an issue since the first time
    the user logs in (this is when the last logged in timestamp is
    incremented) the DB is updated fine (again - sometimes :( ), but it
    is the second update to the DB that causes the error.

    regards,
    ~ amol

    Amol, Feb 13, 2004