please help with this strange problem!!

steve

hi all.
i have a weird problem you may be able to help me with.
running xp sp1
i have made a website which i have uploaded. all went well untill i went to
update it the other day. what happened then was weird.
ok i put a couple of new links on the main page with dreamweaver, previewed
it and all was fine. i uploaded it with cuteftp and opened the main page of
the site - the links were gone -completely, now thats the weird part, i cant
see the links, but everyone else who views my site can!
i checked the source code of the page and have found that the links are
completely missing, but this is only on my machine, no one elses.i reset all
to default in internet explorer, but that didnt help.
has anyone heard of a problem like this, or knows a fix for it?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

SpaceGirl

steve said:
[...]

Clear IE's cache, and try in another browser - you should be using
FireFox or Mozilla as your main browser anyway and only TESTING in IE.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
Clear IE's cache, and try in another browser - you should be using
FireFox or Mozilla as your main browser anyway and only TESTING in IE.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or Opera (the best brower :p)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
Clear IE's cache, and try in another browser - you should be using
FireFox or Mozilla as your main browser anyway and only TESTING in IE.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or Opera (the best browser :p)

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or Opera (the best browser :p)

Opera isn't free. Support open source, it's better for your karma :) And
Opera is *nothing* compaired to Firefox... it's just a poor emulator of IE.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Webcastmaker

you should be using
FireFox or Mozilla as your main browser anyway and only TESTING in IE.

Why is that? Whats wrong with using IE and only testing with Mozilla
or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

Els

Webcastmaker said:
Why is that? Whats wrong with using IE and only testing
with Mozilla or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

For me personally, it is more work to use IE and then test with
Mox, than vice versa. But then again, I don't use tables....
;-)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
Opera isn't free. Support open source, it's better for your karma :) And
Opera is *nothing* compaired to Firefox... it's just a poor emulator of
IE.

I do support Open Source, but I don't like the way that the Mozilla
Project is ran. Mozillia got too big and became slow and sluggish, and one
day Firefox will go that way too. Firefox already runs a lot slower than
Opera and is twice the size.

Opera is nothing like IE!? I can talk to the developers of Opera and they
will listen, fix the bugs and introduce new features that I want. IE
developers would never do such a thing :s

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
I do support Open Source, but I don't like the way that the Mozilla
Project is ran. Mozillia got too big and became slow and sluggish, and one
day Firefox will go that way too. Firefox already runs a lot slower than
Opera and is twice the size.

Opera is nothing like IE!? I can talk to the developers of Opera and they
will listen, fix the bugs and introduce new features that I want. IE
developers would never do such a thing :s

Opera emulates many of IE's bugs, and introduces a few of it's own. FF
doesn't :)

I do user Opera too, tho, but only for testing.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

Webcastmaker wrote
Whats wrong with using IE and only testing with Mozilla
or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

If you need to ask that question then you should not be building web pages.

SpaceGirl

Webcastmaker said:
Why is that? Whats wrong with using IE and only testing with Mozilla
or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

Because it's a HUGE risk to run IE - it has so many holes in it. I
wouldn't recommend anyone to use it, as you're just inviting trouble. IE
is barely able to render standard complaint pages, where as any browser
*other* than IE will render pages as-per-specification, pretty much. IE
has happily slid into that niche that was occupied by Netscape years ago
.. You do realise there were over 6mb of IE patches to fix 'hacker holes'
in it this month alone? You could simply visit a web page and kiss your
machine goodbye. Is any browser worth that risk? :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

steve said:
just tried in firefox with no success.
the site is:
www.stephen-hunter.com

if i load a picture up to the site, it appears immediately, but links?? no
way.

You page is stuffed full of IE specific code. Dump that for a start. 30%
of people dont use IE, so they will never see that stuff anyway!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

steve

""> You page is stuffed full of IE specific code. Dump that for a start. 30%
of people dont use IE, so they will never see that stuff anyway!""

ok, but what do you reccomend then, im new at this and am having problems
with what to use, HTML, PHP or what?
i need something secure and easy to use. i just figured HTML was the one to
go for. i also need to use a language that most people can view with no
probs.

steve

well this is killing me now, i cant figure this out, ive updated everything,
uninstalled explorer and re-installed checked for viruses. spyware etc.
re-made the page, tested the other pages, i have absolutely no idea whats
going on. im in a few different forums and discussion groups and it looks
like no-one has an clue what it might be. i searched on this topic and found
a few others that have experienced the same, but only a few, and a lonfg
time ago, so its hard to contact them.
looks like i may have to do a complete re-install of windows:-(

thanx for the overwhelming response to my post BTW.

steve

Webcastmaker

Because it's a HUGE risk to run IE - it has so many holes in it. I
wouldn't recommend anyone to use it, as you're just inviting trouble. IE
is barely able to render standard complaint pages, where as any browser
*other* than IE will render pages as-per-specification, pretty much. IE
has happily slid into that niche that was occupied by Netscape years ago
. You do realise there were over 6mb of IE patches to fix 'hacker holes'
in it this month alone? You could simply visit a web page and kiss your
machine goodbye. Is any browser worth that risk? :)

I don't know, I just like using the same browser 85%+ of the visitors
use. I like seeing the web the way they do. But to each his/her own,
it's just a browser.