please help with this strange problem!!

SpaceGirl

Toby said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

Opera emulates many of IE's bugs [...] FF doesn't :)

Opera supports CSS 2.1. FF doesn't. :)

Neither does IE. Sort of makes the support pointless as nobody can
actually make use of it. I suspect FF will gain support in the future.
After all, it's a version 1.0 program... how many gens is Opera into now?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

steve said:
ok everyone, problem solved.
all i did was to change the name of the directory i wanted to link to.
it was just called "ads", when i changed it to "advertisments" everything
worked again!!

so there you go!
weirdness over.

phew!!

SO, it was user error :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

steve

it certainl looks that way, although i had no idea that directory names had
to have a certain amount of characters in them.
seems odd to me.

but thanks again for all your help. much appreciated!

steve0

SpaceGirl

steve said:
it certainl looks that way, although i had no idea that directory names had
to have a certain amount of characters in them.
seems odd to me.

but thanks again for all your help. much appreciated!

steve0

:) I was just teasing you. Glad you got it sorted!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Chief

Turn off Norton ad-blocker, or any other ad-blocker you may be running

I see you are using directory name such as 'advertisments' etc. An
link containing words such as these will be stripped by mos
ad-blocker

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
Neither does IE. Sort of makes the support pointless as nobody can
actually make use of it. I suspect FF will gain support in the future.
After all, it's a version 1.0 program...

Then why does it send "Mozilla/5.0" as its User-Agent header? ;-)

Version numbers are just marketing. Despite being in the 0.9s, Firefox is
decended from Mozilla 1.x, which is (somewhat) descended from the
never-released Netscape 5.0, which was itself decended from Mosaic.
Firefox is the result of 12 years of evolution.
how many gens is Opera into now?

As I say, version numbers (currently 7.53) are irrelevent, but the first
public release of Opera was about 8 years ago, making it a far younger
browser.

SpaceGirl

Sam said:
Really? Where does this statistic come from?

IE on the web is about 90% I think... but start including other web
devices...

Google for it. Plenty of references. There was a recent article floating
around on several sites talking about how IE had lost 5% (or was it
more?) of it's share in the last 12 months as well.

I dunno anyway - it's just good practice to write to the standards
rather than include stuff that ties you to ONE browser. Even 1% of the
total audience = millions of internet users.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Sam Hughes

Why is that? Whats wrong with using IE and only testing with Mozilla
or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

Usually, it's easier to get a design working in Mozilla first, because
then it will probably work in IE right off the bat. However, if you make
a design while testing in IE, you're more likely to then have extra
problems getting it to work in Mozilla than you are the other way around.
At least that's what I usually experience. Many times, it doesn't matter
which I use for checking a page's display.

Kris

[QUOTE=""Sam Hughes said:
Why is that? Whats wrong with using IE and only testing with Mozilla
or firefox? The results are exactly the same.

Usually, it's easier to get a design working in Mozilla first, because
then it will probably work in IE right off the bat. However, if you make
a design while testing in IE, you're more likely to then have extra
problems getting it to work in Mozilla than you are the other way around.
At least that's what I usually experience. Many times, it doesn't matter
which I use for checking a page's display.[/QUOTE]

IE and Mozilla compared, in case of inconsistent display of CSS effects,
Mozilla is almost always right. It is easier to tweak what's right into
something quite right, than to tweak something wrong into something
right.

Webcastmaker

I dunno anyway - it's just good practice to write to the standards
rather than include stuff that ties you to ONE browser. Even 1% of the
total audience = millions of internet users.

So if I open a candy store, should I be be prepared for the entire
population of the world to visit?

(I am being facetious)