please recommend some C++ programming exercises

Jack

Dear All,

I need to do some C++ programming exercises.

Would you please recommend some good books or websites with C++
programming
exercises and solutions ?

Any help is appreciated.

Jack

July 30 2010

Jonathan Lee

Dear All,

I need to do some C++ programming exercises.

Would you please recommend some good books or websites with C++
programming
exercises and solutions ?

A couple of websites that spring to mind are Project Euler,
and TopCoder. They aren't really C++ centric; they just have
a bunch of problems people work on when learning. I'm sure
you could do most of the problems in any language.

--Jonathan

RB

I have an old C++ book that I bought at Amazon and it is packed with
more information and code examples than any other Learn C++ book
I saw around the bookstores in town. It is written so a beginner can
understand it but it has information also in it that is beyond the beginner stage.
This book is 1 3/4" thick and has a lot of detail. It won't break your
pocket book either (unless you buy the newer version of it ). They have
it at Amazon (in new condition) starting at $9.oo, even less if you buy a
used one. This is the link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1280591151&sr=1-1&condition=new
The newer versions are not necessarily better (albeit some legacy items might be updated)
but some of them are by different authors and don't cover the same material or format.
For a good solid beginner and reference this book is a great find.
Author Stanley B. Lippman
ISBN 0-201-82470-1
Publisher Addison Wesley

RB

... with a referral ID, so you get paid if someone follows it and buys
the book. Rather dishonest of you not to mention that.

I honestly did not know that, nor would I even know who to
contact to get such a payment on a $8 book. Sorry if I offended
anyone, I thought I was helping the guy find the book since it is
an old edition and does not come up on the standard title search
at Amazon. I guess in the future I will just say it's for sale at
Amazon or is that acceptable ?
And for what is worth I am not getting (nor do I want ) any
payment for the link. I only wanted to help the O.P. since in
my opinion it is a great (although old ) book.
RB

RB

No problem, I would not to promote spam either. I really just never
had time for commission selling so I am kinda ignorant of all the
ramifications of it.
But I still say it is an excellent book. I like it better than any other
C++ book I have. I purposely bought the old version instead of the
newer editions since it had particular material in it that was referenced
on a webpage I was studying.
And when I received it I was even more impressed with the volume
and detail in this book. It is still very much pertinant to much of C++.
Admittedly it still has a few examples with the old strcpy etc routines
instead of the newer more secure strsafe routines but it does not only
teach simple string stuff like that but also elaborates into learning to do
things with std::string and also STL.
And besides if you check your returns and use strncpy I feel that
particular routine is just a safe as many of the strsafe copy routines.
And you still see exception specifications tacked onto some
function definitions like
SomeType FuncName(FuncArg) throw( )
{................................;}
which I believe most compilers ignore this now since it
has been phased out. But the book is chock full of great
stuff.
Later.......RB

Gennaro Prota

I couple of really excellent and current texts come to mind:

1) The C++ Programming Language Special Edition, Bjarne Stroustrup
(Original developer of C++)

For solutions to (selected) exercises proposed therein you might
use:

"C++ Solutions", by Daveed Vandevoorde:

(which I don't own, but the author is a guarantee). Of course
having solutions available must be handled judiciously :)

Balog Pal

Sherm Pendley said:
... with a referral ID, so you get paid if someone follows it and buys
the book. Rather dishonest of you not to mention that.

Come on, the referral ID is put in the URL always if you have an account on
amazon and are logged on -- what is probably quite common. It does by no
way means any payment.

And one has to know where to cut the URL yet to carry the same meaning -- or
even be aware of that possibility.