    UI creator (not free and commercial, but low cost). So prepare your software
    to be independent of platform and be prepared for the future.

    See http://www.wxwidgets.org for more information.
    Nomen Nescio, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > PLEASE USE WXWIDGETS
    >
    > Please use wxWidgets, the multiplatform C++ class library. [..]

    Besides "free", what are the advantages of it over, say, Qt?

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Nomen Nescio

    JKop Guest

    > So code in wxWidgets and your program will run on both Windows, Mac OS
    > X and Linux, natively.

    Windows and Mac OS use different CPU types and hence have different CPU
    instructions... how can you have an executable that will run on both... ? Is
    there a virtual machine involved at all... ?

    As for Windows and Linux... Windows has some sort of PE executable file
    format, does Linux have the same... ?

    -JKop
    JKop, Oct 6, 2004
  4. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >> PLEASE USE WXWIDGETS
    >>
    >> Please use wxWidgets, the multiplatform C++ class library. [..]

    > Besides "free", what are the advantages of it over, say, Qt?

    Other than Qt, would you know any other comparable library?

    One advantage of wx might be that, as the OP mentioned, it always
    uses native widgets of the target platform. Last I checked, Qt
    was using custom-drawn widgets, which don't always have the look
    and feel of the target platform.

    Other than that, Wx does not use a special preprocessor (Qt's MOC),
    however it tends to use MFC-style macros for message maps (although
    you can do without them). Its license allows it to be used in any
    project for free, including non-open source.
    Qt, while being GPL on linux only, is commercial on other platforms.
    It is also more polished overall.

    While Qt is used as a basis for the KDE desktop (as far as I know),
    wxWidgets has a Python binding (wxPython) that has also become a de
    facto standard for Python GUI development.

    Btw, both Qt and Wx, share a set of common flaws:
    - Tendency to use custom container and string classes
    instead of the standard library.
    - Use of a MOC or Macros to implement a callback/messaging
    mechanisme while a pure C++ equivalent is possible today
    - Single-rooted object hierarchies and "emulated" RTTI
    - Excessively monolithic design -- intrication of various
    modules/components makes it difficult to use only a subset
    of the library.

    (Disclaimer: I haven't reviewed the latest version of Qt).

    I would welcome further constructive/informative comments
    about how these two libraries compare...

    Cheers,
    Ivan
    Ivan Vecerina, Oct 6, 2004
  5. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:40:02 +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > PLEASE USE WXWIDGETS

    I thought I was reading comp.lang.c++ not comp.lang.ads
    I hope the author of this post is in no way associated with wxWidgets,
    that alone would make me stay far, far away from that toolkit.
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Nils_O=2E_Sel=E5sdal?=, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Nomen Nescio

    Howard Guest

    "JKop" <> wrote in message

    > > So code in wxWidgets and your program will run on both Windows, Mac OS
    > > X and Linux, natively.

    > Windows and Mac OS use different CPU types and hence have different CPU
    > instructions... how can you have an executable that will run on both... ?

    Is
    > there a virtual machine involved at all... ?

    I would assume that by "code", the OP was talking about "source code", not
    an executable that will run on both. We discuss cross-platform issues here
    often, and I'm pretty sure we're talking about source code that is platform
    independent. Right?

    -Howard
    Howard, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Howard wrote:
    > [..]
    > I would assume that by "code", the OP was talking about "source code", not
    > an executable that will run on both. We discuss cross-platform issues here
    > often, and I'm pretty sure we're talking about source code that is platform
    > independent. Right?

    Right. There is another "problem", however. To use such libraries, one
    has to either begin fresh or totally rewrite the UI code that has been
    already written. Solutions that allow one to take the code written for
    a particular platform and just recompile it on another platform and
    expect it to run and do what it does on the original platform, are few
    and far between. Not to mention that they are very expensive.

    We're falling off the topic very rapidly, BTW.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Nomen Nescio

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message

    > PLEASE USE WXWIDGETS

    Please keep material posted here topical.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 6, 2004
  9. > >> Please use wxWidgets, the multiplatform C++ class library. [..]

    > > Besides "free", what are the advantages of it over, say, Qt?

    > Other than Qt, would you know any other comparable library?

    [snip]

    http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/928/

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Nomen Nescio

    Ron Natalie Guest

    Ivan Vecerina wrote:

    > I would welcome further constructive/informative comments
    > about how these two libraries compare...

    I don't know about Qt, but the screenshots on WxWidgets page might
    look good compared to the sucko Motif and other X GUI designs, but
    they suck compared to the MAC/PC state of the art.
    Ron Natalie, Oct 6, 2004
  11. OT:Re: Please use wxWidgets

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > program and the Linux executable is and looks like a real Linux/GTK+

    But I don't use GTK+, so how is that native to my Linux environment?

    --
    "If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
    are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand
    Steven T. Hatton, Oct 7, 2004