Pop3 emulation for Outlook Client

dgcoventry

Hi.

We have an email server which is not accessible from outside the
building.

What I want to do is to have a linux box with an MTA take the mail off
the server (192.168.0.10) and place it as a file on some server space
I'm renting.

That shouldn't be a problem.

However, I need for my boss to access the email from Outlook Express
as he is comfortable with it

What I would need is to set the email client to access my server space
on port 80 and somehow trigger a perl script to pass the file to
Outlook in a form that won't freak Outlook out.

Would this be possible?

The obvious solution would be to set up the linux box as a mail server
and have Outlook connect directly, but unfortunately our connection is
not a static IP.

Anyone got any thoughts?

dgcoventry

No, and even if it were, the concept is thoroughly broken. You'll give
yourself and your boss more headache than healthy if you pursue this.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. It did seem that the main stumbling
block would be how to get Outlook (or Outlook Express?) to trigger the
http call.
If it is just for a few of mailboxes, this is definitely overkill.
Set up NAT on your firewall to enable POP3S (tcp/995) or IMAPS (tcp/993)
port forwarding to your mailserver, configure secure POP3 or IMAP on
the server itself and install a DynDNS client on one of the servers
behind the firewall (accounts there are for free). All your boss then
needs to do is configure yourname.dyndns.org as the server and enable
secure communication, everything else will work as normal. Together with
encrypted SMTP he will also have a secure way to send messages, which
wouldn't work with your solution.

I'll have a look at dybdns.org and see if I can utilise that. Thanks
very much for the suggestion.
Btw., Outlook Express[TM] and Outlook[TM] are two completely different
pieces of software.

I'm not really familiar with them, but, as I say my boss likes it
(whichever one he uses)

Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions, Chris.

- Dave Coventry