PORTING GMP PROGRAMS TO WINDOWS

sam1967

Hi

Ive written some C Maths programs to compute Bernoulli numbers and
Stirling numbers using the GMP library.
These have been compiled on a Knoppix/Debian PC using gcc.
I would like to port them to windows.

what is the best free C compiler for handling GMP on Windows ?
Ive heard people here mention MINGW . will that handle GMP ?

Dan Pop

In said:
what is the best free C compiler for handling GMP on Windows ?
Ive heard people here mention MINGW . will that handle GMP ?

Ever heard of Google?

Dan

Chris Croughton

Ive written some C Maths programs to compute Bernoulli numbers and
Stirling numbers using the GMP library.
These have been compiled on a Knoppix/Debian PC using gcc.
I would like to port them to windows.

what is the best free C compiler for handling GMP on Windows ?
Ive heard people here mention MINGW . will that handle GMP ?

MinGW is a port of GCC to Windows, producing Windows compiler compatible
code with a free (non-GPL) library. See http://www.mingw.org/ (first in
a Google search for "mingw").

Alternatively, since you are happy with using GPL software (otherwise
you wouldn't be using GMP!) you could use Cygwin, which is a more
complete emulation of a Unix-like environment. If you want to run in a
bash shell on Windows I recomend Cygwin (I haven't used MinGW).

Since both have ports of GCC, using GMP should be a trivial exercise
(you may need to build the library from source or it may be included in
the packages, I haven't checked, but it should build cleanly using
,.configure and make in the usual way).

This is strictly off-topic for comp.lang.c, but I suspect that both
Linux and Windows newsgroups would also find it OT...

Chris C

sam1967

MinGW is a port of GCC to Windows, producing Windows compiler compatible
code with a free (non-GPL) library. See http://www.mingw.org/ (first in
a Google search for "mingw").

Alternatively, since you are happy with using GPL software (otherwise
you wouldn't be using GMP!) you could use Cygwin, which is a more
complete emulation of a Unix-like environment. If you want to run in a
bash shell on Windows I recomend Cygwin (I haven't used MinGW).

Since both have ports of GCC, using GMP should be a trivial exercise
(you may need to build the library from source or it may be included in
the packages, I haven't checked, but it should build cleanly using
,.configure and make in the usual way).

This is strictly off-topic for comp.lang.c, but I suspect that both
Linux and Windows newsgroups would also find it OT...

Chris C

thanks chris.