Possible to run an ASP.NET page as ANONYMOUS LOGON?

Michael D'Angelo

This is related to my other post.

I'm trying to impersonate NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON when a user is not
authenticated, rather than having it impersonate the IUSR account.

I seem to be able to assume the id using ImpersonateAnonymousToken, but I
get access denied to machine.config when I launch, even though I've
explicitly granted access to this file to ANONYMOUS LOGON. Is it just not
realistic for this to work?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Why do you want to do that?

You could also set a separate anonymous user for the application - or impersonate
noone and set a separate worker process identity in IIS6.

Michael D'Angelo

Well the application I'm working on is exposing acls and their usernames,
and I was hoping I could show the Anonymous Logon account instead of IUSR to
be a little friendlier to the users. I suppose I could create a separate
anonymous account with a better name and impersonate that instead of the
default IUSR. Oh well.