Post not appear on group "comp.lang.java.programmer"

Amit Jain

Hi,
Thanks for reply,

I stored hindi text in mysql and displaying it on JSP.
I also want to display hindi text using Resource Bundle and properties
file.

For example I have Login page
User Name: Text Box
Password : Text Box
Submit Button

when user select hindi language then page should display
user name and password in Hindi language using .properties and
Resource Bundle file.

Thanks
Amit Jain

Lew

Something else to bear in mind is that the "free" status of MySQL is
questioned. They are a little weird in their licensing, and some have
asserted that to legally use their product commercially one must buy their
commercial license.

IANAL, so I do not know why those folks say that. As I understand GPL, if you
get MySQL under the GPL that's it - you have it for free. The key seems to be
whether your application can be considered a "derivative work" under the GPL.
Here's what MySQL AB says about the GPL version:
The formal terms of the GPL license can be found in the GNU General Public License section of the MySQL Reference Manual. Please note that the General Public License can be restrictive, so if it doesn't meet your needs, you are better served by our Commercial License.

Specifically:

*

MySQL is free use for those who are 100% GPL. If your application is licensed under GPL or compatible OSI license approved by MySQL AB, you are free to ship any GPL software of MySQL AB with your application ('application' means any type of software application, system, tool or utility). You do not need a separate signed agreement with MySQL AB, because the GPL license is sufficient. We do, however, recommend you contact us as there usually are good opportunities for partnership and co-marketing.
*

Under the Open Source License, you must release the complete source code for the application that is built on MySQL. You do not need to release the source code for components that are generally installed on the operating system on which your application runs, such as system header files or libraries.
*

Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute. As long as you never distribute the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it for powering your application, irrespective of whether your application is under GPL license or not.
*

You are allowed to modify MySQL Software source code any way you like as long as the distributed derivative work is licensed under the GPL as well.
*

You are allowed to copy MySQL binaries and source code, but when you do so, the copies will fall under the GPL license.
*

Optional GPL License Exception for PHP. As a special exception, MySQL AB gives permission to distribute derivative works that are formed with GPL-licensed MySQL software and with software licensed under version 3.0 of the PHP license. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of the code used other than code licensed under version 3.0 of the PHP license.
*

FLOSS License Exception. We have created a license exception which enables Free/Libre and Open Source software ("FLOSS") to be able to include the GPL-licensed MySQL client libraries despite the fact that not all open source licenses are compatible with the GPL (this includes the PHP license version 3.0). Read more about the FLOSS License Exception.

I'm more in favor of the Apache / BSD style licenses than GPL personally.

Twisted

[snip repetition of things Lew wrote and which were dealt with already
in another branch of this thread]
What I thought was quite strange was that Lew *didn't* pooh-pooh the idea
that a database is somehow better suited for storing Unicode text than a
filesystem. While it's true that old-school POSIX functions like fread()
just give you a bag of bytes, most programmers these days are using higher
level tools that do understand text encoding.

Tools such as Java?

(Amazingly, I actually agree with Sherm here.)

Twisted

IANAL, so I do not know why those folks say that. As I understand GPL, if you
get MySQL under the GPL that's it - you have it for free. The key seems to be
whether your application can be considered a "derivative work" under the GPL.

As I understand the GPL, if you use or link against GPL code you need
to open source your own project or negotiate an exemption with the
copyright holder. Ordinarily the copyright is transferred to the FSF;
it sounds like MySQL is an exception and has retained it so they can
negotiate closed-source uses, which is somewhat against the spirit in
which the GPL is intended.

If you run a MySQL server and a generic SQL-query-using client,
however, the client can surely be closed-source (as long as you don't
use a GPL'd client library in the client; SQL is pretty standardized
so this is feasible). Modify the database server and distribute the
modification and you're required to distribute the source code though,
since the server is GPL.

Guest

Lew said:
Something else to bear in mind is that the "free" status of MySQL is
questioned. They are a little weird in their licensing, and some have
asserted that to legally use their product commercially one must buy
their commercial license.

IANAL, so I do not know why those folks say that. As I understand GPL,
if you get MySQL under the GPL that's it - you have it for free. The
key seems to be whether your application can be considered a "derivative
work" under the GPL.

The tricky part is that the connectors are also GPL'ed.

If they were LGPL or GPL with classpath exception there would
absolutely no issue.

Now with GPL the definition of linking becomes relevant.

If one own code directly refer to a MySQL class, then
it is probably linking.

If ones own code has a hardcoded Class.forName that refer
to a MySQL class, then I would not consider it linking, but
MySQL AB migth.

If one own code reads a name of a MySQL class from a config file
and use that, then it is probably not linking.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Twisted said:
As I understand the GPL, if you use or link against GPL code you need
to open source your own project or negotiate an exemption with the
copyright holder. Ordinarily the copyright is transferred to the FSF;
it sounds like MySQL is an exception and has retained it so they can
negotiate closed-source uses, which is somewhat against the spirit in
which the GPL is intended.

No. For GNU projects the copyright is transferred to the FSF. For
the >95% other projects using GPL that is not the case.
If you run a MySQL server and a generic SQL-query-using client,
however, the client can surely be closed-source (as long as you don't
use a GPL'd client library in the client; SQL is pretty standardized
so this is feasible).

The point is that the MySQL provided client libraries are GPL'ed.

Arne

Twisted

Do not bluntly contradict me.
For GNU projects the copyright is transferred to the FSF. For
the >95% other projects using GPL that is not the case.

ISTR the FSF recommending that all users of the GPL transfer the
copyright to the FSF, which will be better able to fight back legally
if the GPL'd code is later misused (e.g. used in a closed-source
derivative work). And if that isn't actual common practise, then there
may be a problem brewing that's far bigger than whatever it is you're
trying to bicker with me about that is motivating you to attempt to
publicly denigrate me.
The point is that the MySQL provided client libraries are GPL'ed.

For shame; should be LGPL, obviously. This means if you want to make a
closed source database client you need to use some other client
library or roll your own; however it doesn't prevent your using MySQL
on the server side, since SQL itself is pretty thoroughly standardized
and the MySQL server's source code and MySQL client library source
code can be studied so whatever protocols it uses to receive SQL
commands is presumably not either proprietary or obfuscated in a way
that would impair reimplementing the client side of the protocol. Such
an implementation, so long as it doesn't copy verbatim any code from
either half of MySQL, doesn't get "infected" with the GPL.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Twisted said:
ISTR the FSF recommending that all users of the GPL transfer the
copyright to the FSF, which will be better able to fight back legally
if the GPL'd code is later misused (e.g. used in a closed-source
derivative work). And if that isn't actual common practise, then there
may be a problem brewing that's far bigger than whatever it is you're
trying to bicker with me about that is motivating you to attempt to
publicly denigrate me.

People are not signing over their copyright to FSF.

I even doubt that FSF would like to administer the copyright of
100000-150000 GPL'ed projects.

A quick googling substantiate that:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/assigning.html

<quote>
The FSF currently accepts assignments for those projects that are
officially dubbed GNU.
</quote>

I think you are confusing "assign copyright for all source
to one legal entity" and "assign copyright for all source
to FSF".

There are some practical advantages when suing for copyright
infringement to have all copyright owned by one legal entity.

For GNU software that is FSF.

But for non-GNU software that can and should be someone else.

Arne

PS: And if you post incorrect information to a public information, then
you should expect to be corrected.

Arne

Twisted

[snip attack post; the nasty things implied about me were false]

Stop attacking me and find something constructive to do. You have been
showing up on my jerkwad-o-meter far too often recently. If it happens
again I may have to write out a citation or two.