PPM installation error - Couldn't open file c:\temp/modulename/ for writing

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andre Caron, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Andre Caron

    Andre Caron Guest

    Hello,

    I am installing a Perl module Windows 2000 Server and get the following
    error message:

    C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd
    Error installing package
    'http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd': C
    ouldn't open C:\temp/Crypt-SSLeay/ for writing

    C:\>

    Notice the direction of the slashes. Is there a parameter to specify
    the directory?

    The command works properly on Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
    (2 desktops).

    Any suggestions or solutions are very welcome... ;-)

    Andre Caron
    Mirabel, Canada
    Andre Caron, Jan 3, 2006

  2. "Andre Caron" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am installing a Perl module Windows 2000 Server and get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd
    > Error installing package
    > 'http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd': C
    > ouldn't open C:\temp/Crypt-SSLeay/ for writing
    >

    > C:\>
    >
    > Notice the direction of the slashes. Is there a parameter to specify
    > the directory?

    The slashes don't matter. AFAIK, the temp directory is first obtained
    from the environment variables called TEMP and/or TMP. So, check if
    those point to a directory to which you can write.

    > The command works properly on Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
    > (2 desktops).

    I have a feeling the environment variables are set up correctly on those
    machines.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Andre Caron

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Andre Caron" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..

    > Is there a parameter to specify the directory?

    ..
    ..

    Yes:

    ppm> settings tempdir
    tempdir: C:\DOCUME~1\Rob\LOCALS~1\Temp
    ppm> settings tempdir D:\crap
    Setting 'tempdir' set to 'D:\crap'.
    ppm> settings tempdir
    tempdir: D:\crap
    ppm>

    According to the docs, that change should persist. But for me that's not the
    case and I would have to reset tempdir every time I opened a new ppm shell.

    See 'ppm help' and 'ppm settings help'.

    There's also fairly good ppm (html) documentation in your
    Perl/html/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html file.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Andre Caron