    Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

    Thanks,

    Don Noll, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Don Noll wrote:
    > Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    > or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?
    >
    > Thanks,

    The only real way I know of is not to 'publish' them on the web....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Don Noll wrote:
    >> Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from
    >> downloading or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > The only real way I know of is not to 'publish' them on the web....

    There are measures you can take to more it /more difficult/ for users to do
    that. You can also weed out more mediocre users, but you can never prevent
    anything once it goes public.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >

    >>Don Noll wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from
    >>>downloading or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>

    >>The only real way I know of is not to 'publish' them on the web....

    > There are measures you can take to more it /more difficult/ for users to do
    > that. You can also weed out more mediocre users, but you can never prevent
    > anything once it goes public.
    >
    > Roy

    Roy is right, I gave a smart ass response but if your think about it,
    you are 'publishing' them. As an artist, it is a concern of mine, but
    you cannot really stop someone from printing and downloading your images
    if you put them on a web page. However here are my suggestions on what
    to do.

    1. Keep your images at web resolution not printable resolution <600
    pixels most times 300-400 will do, will look good on a monitor
    especially if you play with sharping and smoothing filters and with the
    jpg compression, but at this resolution they will not print very well.

    2. Copyright and give clear copyright statements, Google 'copyright' for
    proper methods, I am assuming this is your original work, right?

    3. Digimarc watermark your images, plugins available for all major
    images software. Unfortunately one needs the plugin to 'see' the
    watermark, but it does prove that the file was generated by you.

    4. Pray...some folks steal, sometimes it is dishonest sometimes
    ignorance, happened before the Web and will continue after...hopefully
    suggestions 1-3 will diswade the most.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Don Noll

    Guest

    You mentioned them printing the photos, so I assume you are selling art
    prints or something.

    If that is the case, just watermark the images with their price or
    something.

    , Jun 13, 2005
  6. Don Noll

    Don Noll Guest

    Thanks for input but let me further explain my question.

    I visited a site about a year ago that had head shot photos. When you right
    clicked or tried to copy, print etc...an error box would pop up. It said
    something like these photos are copyrighted. This action prevented any
    printing of them.

    Don Noll, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Don Noll wrote:
    > I visited a site about a year ago that had head shot photos. When you right
    > clicked or tried to copy, print etc...an error box would pop up. It said
    > something like these photos are copyrighted. This action prevented any
    > printing of them.

    No, it prevented people with very little knowledge from printing. And
    annoyed people who wanted to do something perfectly legitimate by
    right-clicking.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Don Noll

    Don Noll Guest

    Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
    average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

    Thanks,

    Don Noll, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Don Noll

    Els Guest

    Don Noll wrote:

    > Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
    > average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

    Photos on website galleries aren't good enough for printing, (I do
    assume you use a regualar website format, and not put original high
    resolution copies on the site) so you'd only be preventing the regular
    fan from printing a bad copy of a picture. Anyone who could make money
    with pics from the bands would a) need better originals, and b) be
    likely to know how to go around your popup.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 13, 2005
  10. Don Noll wrote:
    > Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
    > average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

    Preventing right-clicking will stop the average user who wants to
    bookmark your page or send its URL to a friend. Preventing
    right-clicking will not stop any of the thieves who are intelligent
    enough for you need to worry about them.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 13, 2005
  11. Don Noll

    Guest

    Don Noll wrote:
    > Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    > or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

    You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
    image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
    picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
    download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
    together into a single large jpg. This would not prevent downloading,
    but it would make it time consuming and beyond the ability of many. I
    have a puzzle that shows 36 cells, that are dragable, in random order.
    The code written to put the cells back together is not used, or there
    would be no puzzle. You may view the page on my site at
    http://www.cwdjr.net/test/picturePuzzle.html . Of course if one does
    not mind a loss in resolution, you can always screen capture the page
    and take it to an image tool to crop out the part you want, resize, and
    file type convert.

    , Jun 13, 2005
  12. wrote:
    > You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
    > image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
    > picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
    > download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
    > together into a single large jpg.

    Or they would have to know how to take a screenshot.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 13, 2005
  13. Don Noll

    nemo Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:27:53 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
    >> image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
    >> picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
    >> download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
    >> together into a single large jpg.

    >Or they would have to know how to take a screenshot.

    By this time, you'll have got the message that you can't prevent it totally,
    but in the spirit of making things difficult, you can construct a
    two-picture animation of each with the first frame being blank.

    Why do they want the pictures of your band? If it's for publicity, you're
    wanting to *stop* that???

    If the topic is something that just sort'v occurred to you, you can now
    start considering hot-linking....

    nemo, Jun 13, 2005
  14. Don Noll

    Marco Bakker Guest

    Don Noll <> wrote:

    > Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    > or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

    Add a license like this: http://creativecommons.org/
    and relax...

    --
    I sense a great disturbance in the force

    Marco Bakker, Jun 13, 2005
  15. Don Noll

    neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, Don Noll quothed:

    > Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    > or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?
    >
    > Thanks,

    You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
    on your website, -if it's any good, that is.

    --
    Neredbojias

    neredbojias, Jun 13, 2005
  16. neredbojias wrote:
    > Without quill or qualm, Don Noll quothed:
    >

    >>Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    >>or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?
    >>
    >>Thanks,

    > You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
    > on your website, -if it's any good, that is.

    I agree with neredbojias, like a said in my 2nd response to this thread,
    keep your website images small 300-400 pixels range. They will be good
    enough to be viewable online but not very useful for reproduction to
    make pirated t-shirts and stuff, (I assume that is what your concern is)

    But if folks copy and post your low-res shots on their sites and blogs,
    you don't want to stop that do you? I mean publicity, "that's a good
    thing", right?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 13, 2005
  17. Don Noll

    dorayme Guest

    > Don Noll wrote:
    >> Can somebody tell me the script that will prevent viewers from downloading
    >> or printing photos (jpg) off my web site?

    > You can easily slice and dice the jpg into, say, 36 cells using an
    > image tool such as Paint Shop, which also writes the html to put the
    > picture back together again. In this case, someone would have to
    > download the 36 cell jpgs and use an image tool to put them all back
    > together into a single large jpg. This would not prevent downloading,
    > but it would make it time consuming and beyond the ability of many.

    I am sure this is true. But it is not all *that* hard. Consider my gang. I
    teach my young thieves various techniques that I have found useful (btw, I
    choose Band websites to teach them - they seem to like all this groovy
    stuff. Ha ha! But when they are proficient I put them onto things I am more
    interested in, eg. fine paintings of bowls of fruit).

    One thing I tell them is this. Because they work on Macs (I insist on them
    using a collection of old Macs I famously stole ages ago), they have learnt
    to very precisely take screen shots of any rectangle they want.
    (shift+command+4). We have some reasonable screens in our, let me say, huh
    huh, *workshop*. The quality of the screens does not matter at all, it is
    just a means to grab the info to send to our very nice printers, which are
    available when they they are not being used to print, let me say, less
    artistic material, more concrete, greener stuff, if you know what I mean...

    If the pics are bigger than 1900 px across as are many print quality ones, I
    tell them to *snap and scroll*, *snap and scroll*. I made up a little song
    for them with these catchy lines and they sing as they *snap and scroll*.
    Most pics yield to just a few such snaps and scrolls. And stitching together
    is simply dead easy with layers. They soon learn.

    Fagin

    dorayme, Jun 13, 2005
  18. Don Noll wrote:
    > Yes, then that's what I want to do. Make it alittle more difficult for the
    > average person to print our band photos from our website galleries!

    Do you really think your band is so great/important that people will
    steal your pictures?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 14, 2005
  19. neredbojias wrote:
    > You have the wrong attitude. You should WANT to disseminate the imagery
    > on your website, -if it's any good, that is.

    Where have you been? It seems like ages since I have seen you post.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 14, 2005
  20. Don Noll

    Don Noll Guest

    My concern is not that people will steal our photos! Our promo photos are
    distributed:however; gallery photos are candid photos!

    Some people have printed out the candid photos to help us get further gigs.
    We feel a "hard" copy used for solicitation should be promo photos NOT
    candid photos. Some people have good intentions but would like clients to
    view candid photos as action photos, not passed around as promo photos!

    Actually stealing our photos is the farthest thing on our mind...thanks for
    all input!

    Don Noll, Jun 14, 2005