Print from asp

Wolfgang Huell

Hi Guys.

I hope somebody is able to help me with this one:

Task:

Client (intranet) sends form to webserver (asp or asp.net). Webserver stores
user input in database and retrieves record id. Id is displayed on the
client. So far, no problem.

Problem:

Parallel to the above, the record id needs to be printed on a network
printer (Zebra Barcode Label Printer). Can this be done using the printer ip
address only? Should it be done server or client side? Any scripts? I cannot
use any activex controls or com components...

Thanks,

Wolfgang.

Steve Radich \(BitShop, Inc.\)

You may want to consider having the asp page insert into a table in a
database a row saying print record id ___

You can have another task (scheduled task, or continually running .vbs or nt
service) which monitors the database for incomplete tasks and prints them.

You CAN create a filesystem object for LPT1: but then you just get plain
text, that probably won't help you at all.

If you do a scheduled task, service, or .vbs file you can control the user
context it runs as and everything should be very simple in that process. Of
course printing the label may still require some software unless you have
code to render the barcode.

Steve Radich - Hosting, Colocation, Troubleshooting IIS, NT, Exchange and
more..
BitShop, Inc. - http://www.bitshop.com - IIS Experts since 1996

IntraRELY

This can be done. However you may need to have some client side software
written to pull the information. In reallity you have not given enough
information to give a good answer. Yes, unlitimitly it can be done, just not
sure how difficult it may be.

Steve
www.IntraRELY.com