Problem attaching Custom SiteMapProvider that is not Static

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBCcm93bg==?=, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Is it a problem to attach Non-static site map providers under one that
    inherits from StaticSiteMapProvider ?

    We are implementing a custom site map provider for a website that is being
    converted to ASP.NET 2.0. The conversion is going well because some of the
    features, like Master Pages and Site Maps, of ASP.NET 2.0 allow us to migrate
    away from a "top frame" style of navigation to a standard dynamic cascading
    top menu with minimal coding on our existing pages. We already have a rather
    complex database that contains our entitlements (or roles) that we need to
    leverage in a custom site map provider, but we wanted to replace our existing
    hard-coded home page links with a top-level XmlSiteMapProvider which appears
    to have most of the features that we need.

    So our Site map will be

    XmlSiteMapProvider (that references nodes and ...)
    -> One or more CustomSiteMapProviders

    However, the two SiteMapProviders that we will be working with
    (XmlSiteMapProvider with securityTrimming ON and our CustomSiteMapProvider
    that loads links from the database) use different paradigms for loading their
    site maps. The XmlSiteMapProvider (inherits from StaticSiteMapProvider)
    loads from the sitemap config file initially into a static representation of
    the data. The Custom SiteMapProvider dynamically loads the links from the
    database seperately for each user and stores each user's sitemap temporarily
    in the cache. The reason for this is that the business logic for getting the
    links for each user within this provider are implemented in the data-layer
    and are rather complex. (not a simple role-based access scenario). Trying
    to unravel these entitlements into a list of roles for each of these links
    will introduce a lot of complexity and also exceed the number of nodes that
    are recommended for use with the XmlSiteMapProvider and securityTrimming.

    What we are confused about is how this is handled by the XmlSiteMapProvider.
    Although the source for this provider is posted on MSDN (see ScottGu's Blog)
    it is also not the "FULL" source in that it does not divulge how the
    XmlSiteMapProvider attaches to other child providers except for other
    XmlSiteMapProviders. It looks like when it builds the sitemap for it's child
    providers, it checks [EnsureChildProvidersUpToDate()] to see if the root node
    [GetRootNodeCore()] for each child provider has changed since the last
    traversal. If so, then it seems to rebuild the child provider and re-attach
    it to it's static site map structure. In our case, I'm not sure how this
    would play out because I'm not sure that our provider fits the original
    design intent for a provider to attach under a StaticSiteMapProvider.

    For example, it is likely that the child provider will be out of date on
    each request because it will be a different user accessing the website. This
    would cause a rebuild of the SiteMapNodes from the non-static provider and
    their attachment to the Static siteMap structure. (If they do get attached -
    we really can't tell because that section of the source may be missing.)
    Would all of this refreshing of data in the static collections cause
    threading contention? Is it possible that both threads will be adding nodes
    at the same time?

    Another concern is that the algorithm that the
    EnsureChildProviderIsUpToDate() method uses to determine whether the
    siteMapNodes in a child provider need refreshed may not be sufficient in our
    case. User (1) and User(2) may have the same root node, but different
    children. If the algorithm is only comparing the parents, it may not notice
    this difference. Again, we do not know what the XmlSiteMapProvider is doing
    to handle the case when a non-static Site Map Provider is a child of it, as
    this may not be in the source we possess.

    If someone on the development team for SiteMapProviders could comment, we
    would appreciate it. Likewise, divulging the full source code for
    XmlSiteMapProvider may also answer our question.

    Alexander P. Brown
    The P. stands for Provider
    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBCcm93bg==?=, Oct 26, 2006