Problem compiling remote web in VS2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?=, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Hi peeps

    I've just moved my dev system to Win2k3 / VS2005 (from Win2k/VS2k3) and I'm
    having a problem.

    I've setup a new website in IIS, enabled .net, fpse, etc.

    From VS2005, if I choose Open Website, I can type in the location of my
    server by entering http://10.0.0.253:4040. That works fine, and VS loads the
    project.

    However, I can't seem to compile it. When I hit build it asks me to save the
    solution. I choose c:\ program files\visual
    studio\projects\10.0.0.253\myproject and it accepts it and carries on.
    (10.0.0.253 is a directory already created by VS2005 for me).

    Then when it starts to compile, I get an error telling me that "10.0.0.253
    is not a valid virtual folder" or something.

    Any ideas what's going on!?

    Cheers

    Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?=, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Dan,
    You are making the assumption that VS.NET 2005 can compile a solution on a
    remote webserver, which is highly unlikely that it could do.

    You should be thinking about building locally and then using the Publish
    option to deploy the solution to the target machine.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jan 8, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?=

    m.posseth Guest

    HUH ????

    > You are making the assumption that VS.NET 2005 can compile a solution on a
    > remote webserver, which is highly unlikely that it could do.

    I do not else on daily bases with VS.Net 2003 and VS.Net 2005

    I develop from home on a staging server in the datacenter of my company
    wich is accessible by the web through frontpage server extensions , also
    here at home i have a small network with a windows 2000 server with IIS and
    frontpage extensions installed and i can just as easily connect to this
    computer create a new project and develop and compile on it from my laptop
    in the living room

    did i do something special to get this working ?? NO this is out of the box
    working ...

    install IIS on a server , install the newest version of frontpage server
    extensions
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...45-1884-4A16-A8CB-25D2F0815FA3&displaylang=en
    ,make sure you have a account with at least author rights on the server

    now connect with your Visual studio IDE to the servers virtual dir ( web
    adress or IP ) ,, file , Open , web site , choose remote website , enter
    the http:\\ adress ( name or IP )
    you will see a login box enter the login credentials , after selecting the
    project file you need to login again for the frontapge part , and ready you
    are

    the same flow can be followed for creating a new website

    file , new , web site etc etc etc

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Jan 8, 2006
  4. Well, i fixed it. Sort of...

    A trawl on the web indicates that VS doesn't seem to like using remote webs
    that ARENT on port 80 (the default port). So I changed my web to use Port 80,
    and it works.

    The problem now being that I have multiple webs, and I can only access port
    80. Apparently it will work with host headers though...

    Thanks for all your help guys

    Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?=, Jan 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?=

    m.posseth Guest

    Host headers will just work fine , IIS has perfect support for that ( i
    use them also a lot to save me some IP`s )

    for testing purposes you can just change the local hosts file on your system
    ( just a text file that you may edit with notepad )

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Jan 8, 2006