Problem deploying ASP.Net 2.0 application

JimCinLA

On an ASP.Net 2.0 Web project, I created a deployment setup
using the deployment wizard in Visual Studio 2005.

I use SQL 2005 Express as a database server.

The development version of my project -- it is a large one --
works fine inside Visual Studio. But when I try to deploy it
on localhost outside VS, I receive an error message at the
point where a connection should be made to the database
server. Apparently, the deployment wizard has altered my
connection string.

The connection string I use on the development version
has

[computer name]\sqlexpress

for the provider.

On the development version, the login works fine. I fetch the
connection string from Web.config.

On the deployed version, an error message says that the
login failed for

[computer name]\aspnet

which is not the same name that appears in the connection
string.

Anyone know what's happening? I suppose a setting in the Web.config
file needs to be altered for deployment.

Jim

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

deploy does not change web.config. you are confusing the sqlserver spec and
the login. the login is failing on the server. the default asp.netaccunt
does not have network permissions. be sure you are not using impersonation
and set the app identity in the app pool to an account with access to the
sqlserver.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

heinz

JimCinLA said:
[...]

you need to set up a user called servername\ASPNET and give
it read and write priviledges on the data_app folder.

wawens

JimCinLA

JimCinLA said:
[...]

Did that in ASP.NET Web Site Admin tool. App_Data has [computer
name]\aspnet
as a user. But I still have the problem.

heinz

Probably done this but just in case (I've seen a contractor
struggling for days with this)
The web.config runs from the virtual root directory. In
other words, if you simply pasted your directory into the
root directory, then the web.config in the root is called
and will mess yours up.
Simply make your folder a virtual root in IIS.

i know its obvious but you never know....