Problem installing ruby-libxml

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Francis Hwang, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Hi, I'm trying to install ruby-libxml and not having any luck. I
    should preface my post by saying that my understanding of how Unix
    libraries work is pretty sad, so please feel free to point me to some
    resource (web page, man page, book, etc.) that I could use to figure
    this out.

    Anyway, here's what happens when I try to install ruby-libxml:

    $ ruby extconf.rb
    checking for atan() in -lm... yes
    checking for inflate() in -lz... yes
    checking for iconv_open() in -liconv... no
    checking for iconv_open() in -lc... no
    checking for iconv_open() in -lrecode... no
    extconf failure: need libiconv

    But I have definitely already installed libiconv, in fact when I look
    in /usr/local/lib I see:

    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.2.0.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.dylib
    /usr/local/lib/libiconv.la

    Any hints as to what I should try next would be much appreciated.

    Francis
    Francis Hwang, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Francis Hwang

    Sam Roberts Guest

    I had a problem with similar symptoms a while ago trying to install a
    ruby module that needed iconv. I had to replace

    have_library("iconv")

    in extconf.rb with
    have_library("iconv", "iconv")

    on Nobu's advice.

    Maybe this will work for you? Also, mkmf.log gave the essential clue
    as to what wasn't working. Maybe include yours if it still does not
    build.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Quoteing , on Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 08:52:11AM +0900:

    Sam Roberts, Dec 4, 2003