Problem: Too many response code 404, how to detect them?

Jeff

hi

asp.net 3.5

Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
the database when 404 code is triggered?

any suggestions?

Guest

hi

asp.net 3.5

Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
the database when 404 code is triggered?

any suggestions?

Webalizer doesn't show such details. You can try to analize referrers
section, maybe there is a link on other website which leads to 404. I
would recommend to use another statistics tool, Webalizer is really
bad and basic. If you can't change it (e.g. because of shared
hosting), setup a page for 404 error and log from where you get
requests there.

Mr. Arnold

Jeff said:
hi

asp.net 3.5

Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
the database when 404 code is triggered?

any suggestions?

Why don't you look at the IIS logs?

Jeff

Why don't you look at the IIS logs?

can I access the IIS logs from a shared hosting solution? This is IIS6 by
the way

Jani Järvinen [MVP]

Hello Jeff,
Can I access the IIS logs from a shared hosting solution?

Some hosting providers do provide access to IIS logs -- I suggest that you
check with your provider. You usually must log in to their control panel,
and from there, you can find the logs if they are available. Sometimes, they
zip the logs for you on a daily/weekly basis.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,

Jani Järvinen
C# MVP
Vantaa, Finland
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
Business: http://www.nimacon.net/
Personal: http://www.saunalahti.fi/janij/

Guest

Hello Jeff,

Some hosting providers do provide access to IIS logs -- I suggest that you
check with your provider. You usually must log in to their control panel,
and from there, you can find the logs if they are available. Sometimes, they
zip the logs for you on a daily/weekly basis.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,

Jani Järvinen
C# MVP
Vantaa, Finland
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
Business:http://www.nimacon.net/
Personal:http://www.saunalahti.fi/janij/

If they run webalizer then it's possible that the referrer field is
not logged because it's not used by webalizer.

BTW, I believe that 404 is because of missing image file.