Problem with downloading ActiveX control in IE 6 SP1

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by fniles, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. fniles

    fniles Guest

    We created an ActiveX control and marked it as safe for scripting using
    Implements IObjectSafety. We then created a CAB file and signed it using
    Verisign.
    We also created a license file (LPK file) for it.
    We use this control on an ASP page.
    We put the CAB file for the AX control and VBRun60.CAB in the same folder
    with all the ASP files.
    When we call the ASP page using any machine with IE 6 SP2 (we tried it with
    multiple IE6 SP2 machines), it prompted you to download the control and it
    got downloaded fine, and the ASP page works fine.
    But, when we call the ASP page using a machine with IE 6 SP1 (we tried it
    with multiple IE6 SP1 machines), it did not even prompt you to download the
    control even though the control does not exist in the machine. Because of
    this, the ASP page does not work because the AX control does not exist.
    The IE setting is such that we either enable or prompt downloading a control
    and initialize and script AX control.

    Here is the codes for the control in the ASP page:
    <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:5220cb21-c88d-11cf-b347-00aa00a28331"
    id="Microsoft_Licensed_Class_Manager_1_0"1 VIEWASTEXT><PARAM
    NAME="LPKPath" VALUE="BControl.lpk"></OBJECT>

    <OBJECT id="bcontrol2" height=0 width=0
    classid=clsid:CAC161FD-C2F9-4F0F-95F3-A3D4E5D465CD
    codeBase="BControl.CAB#version=1,0,0,0" VIEWASTEXT>
    <PARAM NAME="_ExtentX" VALUE="873">
    <PARAM NAME="_ExtentY" VALUE="847">
    </OBJECT>

    Why in IE 6 SP1 it did not even prompt me to download the AX control even
    though it does not exist?

    Thank you very much.

    fniles, Jan 5, 2006

  2. fniles

    fniles Guest

    More information:
    the problem with downloading the AX control in IE6 SP1 is with Win2000
    machines (IE6 SP2 is on WinXP machine, and it is fine).
    Is it possible that with Win2000 machine one is prohibited from downloading
    ActiveX control ?
    How can we get around it ?

    Thank you.

    fniles, Jan 5, 2006

  3. fniles

    PA Bear Guest

    Are all of the affected machines fully up-to-date at Windows Update?

    ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to
    defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688
    (MS05-052)
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=909889

    A Web page that contains a custom ActiveX control may not load as expected
    in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in
    cumulative security update 896688 (MS05-052)
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=909738

    The fix detailed in 909889 involving the Registry and OLE32.DLL is available
    at

    - http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/OLEfix.zip, and

    - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip (a small VB app that
    checks the 4 values and offers a repair option if any of them are
    incorrect).
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, Jan 5, 2006
  4. fniles

    fniles Guest

    Thanks a lot for your help.

    > Are all of the affected machines fully up-to-date at Windows Update?

    Yes, yesterday we installed all the Windows update for Win2000 SP4.

    We ran the http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip, and it says
    that all 4 values are correct.

    What else do we need to check ?

    Thanks.

    fniles, Jan 5, 2006
  5. fniles

    PA Bear Guest

    Did you reboot?

    PA Bear, Jan 5, 2006
  6. fniles

    fniles Guest

    > Did you reboot?
    Did you mean after we install all the Windows update, did we reboot?
    Yes, we did.

    fniles, Jan 6, 2006