Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. Hi All,

    We are in the process of Upgrade Excel 2003 (Office 2003) to Excel 2007
    (Office 2007) for one of web application.
    This web application is using Excel (Pivot Table) reports. With Excel 2003
    application (Reports) works ok.
    But when Office 2003 is upgraded to Office 2007 Excel reports stops working.

    It Log the error “Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC.†In database.

    Condition:
    1) Existing web Application in production (office 2003 installed on
    production server)
    2) Upgrade to Office 2007 on server , run the excel report
    3) Excel Pivot Table reports stops working Log above error in error
    database.

    Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?
    Please Suggest appropriate solution if any one knows.

    Thanks and Regards
    Shashank P Kulkarni

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 5, 2007

  2. "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?

    Firstly, server-side Office automation is not supported by Microsoft because
    it doesn't work properly - Office just wasn't designed to be run in this
    type of environment.

    Secondly, you can't just install Office on a webserver because of licensing
    issues...

    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Cells/Default.aspx

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 5, 2007

  3. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    Hi,

    We are using license copy of Excel 2007 (Office 2007 ) :)

    Our Project Environment is Like this

    1) Web application (Asp.Net 1.1) hosted on windows 2003 server
    2) Database is Sql 2000 server
    3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC (Office
    web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on Excel.
    4) Currently in production We are using Office 2003 (Excel 2003 )Client
    Requirement is like that to upgrade it to Office 2007 (Excel 2007)
    5) We need to upgrade Office 2003 to Office 2007
    7) When we do this OWC in built functionality works properly but stops
    custom excel download fucntionality (Drawing flow Chart)
    8) But same thing works fine when we just install Excel 2007 with out
    upgrading

    Could you please put some more highlight on the issue if you find some thing .

    Thanks in advance

    Regards
    Shashank P Kulkarni

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 5, 2007
  4. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > 3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC
    > (Office
    > web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on
    > Excel.

    There was no mention of OWC in your original post...

    However: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2006/07/17/668544.aspx

    Specifically, paragraph 3:

    "Microsoft has shipped different versions of OWC in the last three releases
    of Microsoft® Office, including Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP,
    and Microsoft Office 2000, however, the Office Web Components will not ship
    with the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The version of OWC that shipped with
    the 2003 release of Microsoft Office will be the last revision to this
    technology. Additionally, the ability to author OWC-based web pages is also
    being removed from Microsoft Office 2007 applications such as Microsoft
    Office Excel® 2007 and Microsoft Office Access 2007, and OWC will not ship
    with Microsoft Office SharePoint® Designer 2007, which is partially based on
    Microsoft Office FrontPage® 2003. Though they will not be updated, the
    components will ship with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007."

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 5, 2007
  5. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    for office Web component it is working properly even after upgrading from
    Excel 2003 to Excel 2007.
    But there are reports which we write using excel object. Like draw some
    Flights (Calendar in cells of work book Like this)

    Jan feb March April May ..........................

    TV ............

    Such type of functionality we are providing in this custom excel report .
    We are creating XML file to write this data and then convert it to .xls file .
    All .xml files created at run time on the server.
    This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007 :(

    Thanks
    Shashank

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 5, 2007
  6. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007 :(

    I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
    have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 5, 2007
  7. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excel forum :) already

    thanks Mark for your quick response

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 5, 2007
  8. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
    That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office 2007. OWC
    is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
    Office product for functionality.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Oct 6, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=

    Gorgo Guest

    Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    On 6 Pa¼, 04:16, "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <some guy without an email
    address> wrote:
    > You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
    > That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office2007. OWC
    > is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
    > Office product for functionality.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Alvin Bruney
    > Shameless Author Plug
    > OWC Black Book 2nd Edition
    > Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc
    > $24.99
    >
    > "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    > messagenews:...
    >

    > >i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excelforum :) already

    > > thanks Mark for your quick response

    > > "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

    > >> "shashank kulkarni" <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    > >> I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
    > >> have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?

    > >> --
    > >> Mark Rae
    > >> ASP.NET MVP
    > >>http://www.markrae.net- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

    > - Poka¿ cytowany tekst -

    Hey

    I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
    excel object not with OWC.

    To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
    solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
    really appreciate it.

    going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
    only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
    the "Type.Missing".

    thank you in advance for any clue
    regards
    Gorgo

    Gorgo, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    "Gorgo" <> wrote in message

    > I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
    > excel object not with OWC.
    >
    > To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
    > solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
    > really appreciate it.
    >
    > going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
    > only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
    > the "Type.Missing".

    Read the thread again. If you're trying to use server-side Office automation
    in ASP.NET, this is never going to work...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 18, 2007
  11. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    Mark, why do you think it is never going to work? What exactly will stop it
    from working?

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Oct 19, 2007
  12. Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 19, 2007
  13. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    > We've been here before, Alvin...

    Precisely. You said it doesn't work. These articles do not support you
    claim. There is a difference between software not working and software not
    being supported. For instance, in the second article you linked, it
    indicates:

    <quote>Regardless, it may be absolutely required to use Office in this
    manner [server side automation]. </quote>

    Even Microsoft recognizes that applications will be run in this manner even
    if there is no product support for this approach. Developers simply choose
    to manage the risk. And that is one reason why you see developers coming
    here for server-side automation help. Indicating that it won't work is
    simply technically incorrect. By the way, i have personally gotten Microsoft
    product support to help me solve server-side office automation issues even
    if their official statement claims otherwise. These people do understand the
    dollar impact of having production software go down. There are lots of
    applications out there that automate office on the server in the real
    world - I personally get numerous requests for help in this area. The chief
    reason for developers proceeding with office server automation is that
    microsoft has provided no suitable, cost-effective alternative.

    I recommend you modify your stance to Office server automation is not
    supported.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Oct 20, 2007
  14. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    >> We've been here before, Alvin...

    > Precisely. You said it doesn't work. These articles do not support you
    > claim. There is a difference between software not working and software not
    > being supported.

    Yes, but the reason it isn't supported is precisely because it doesn't work,
    at least, not with any sort of reliability. There may be instances where it
    will work for a while, but it really is a disaster waiting to happen.

    >> For instance, in the second article you linked, it indicates:
    >>
    >> <quote>Regardless, it may be absolutely required to use Office in this
    >> manner [server side automation]. </quote>

    LOL! But that's just marketing...:) Fact is, there is never *any* need need
    to use server-side Office automation because there are other products
    available which do the job reliably - they're just not Microsoft products...

    The article also says: "We do not recommend or support Automation to a
    Microsoft Office application from an unattended user account." That's much
    more than simply not supporting it - Microsoft actively does not recommend
    it...

    The article also says: "Caution Automation of any Office application from an
    unattended, non-interactive user account is risky and unstable." The clue
    here is "risky and unstable"...

    The article also says: "Warning Office was not designed, and is not safe,
    for unattended execution on a server." The clue here is "not safe"...

    We're way beyond "not supported" here...

    > The chief reason for developers proceeding with office server automation
    > is that microsoft has provided no suitable, cost-effective alternative.

    That is completely true. It's also completely irrelevant:
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Default.aspx

    > I recommend you modify your stance to Office server automation is not
    > supported.

    How about: "Server-side Office automation is not support and not recommended
    because it is unsafe, risky and unstable due to the fact that Office was not
    designed to be used in this manner"...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 20, 2007
  15. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    Don't get distracted, you said it doesn't work. That is simply not correct
    and that is what I am pointing out.

    To say that:

    > there is never *any* need need to use server-side Office automation

    is a statement you simply should not be making, for obvious reasons. It's ok
    to peddle the Aspose product, but not at the expense of technically
    incorrect information.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Oct 20, 2007
  16. Re: Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2

    Thanks all for your help.
    We face this problem in QA environment and problem get solved by registring
    office.
    That team miss to register the Office 2007 :(

    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=, Oct 24, 2007