Guest

Hi All,

We are in the process of Upgrade Excel 2003 (Office 2003) to Excel 2007
(Office 2007) for one of web application.
This web application is using Excel (Pivot Table) reports. With Excel 2003
application (Reports) works ok.
But when Office 2003 is upgraded to Office 2007 Excel reports stops working.

It Log the error “Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC.†In database.

Condition:
1) Existing web Application in production (office 2003 installed on
production server)
2) Upgrade to Office 2007 on server , run the excel report
3) Excel Pivot Table reports stops working Log above error in error
database.

Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?
Please Suggest appropriate solution if any one knows.

Thanks and Regards
Shashank P Kulkarni

Guest

Hi,

We are using license copy of Excel 2007 (Office 2007 ) :)

Our Project Environment is Like this

1) Web application (Asp.Net 1.1) hosted on windows 2003 server
2) Database is Sql 2000 server
3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC (Office
web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on Excel.
4) Currently in production We are using Office 2003 (Excel 2003 )Client
Requirement is like that to upgrade it to Office 2007 (Excel 2007)
5) We need to upgrade Office 2003 to Office 2007
7) When we do this OWC in built functionality works properly but stops
custom excel download fucntionality (Drawing flow Chart)
8) But same thing works fine when we just install Excel 2007 with out
upgrading

Could you please put some more highlight on the issue if you find some thing .

Thanks in advance

Regards
Shashank P Kulkarni

Mark Rae [MVP]

3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC
(Office
web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on
Excel.

There was no mention of OWC in your original post...

However: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2006/07/17/668544.aspx

Specifically, paragraph 3:

"Microsoft has shipped different versions of OWC in the last three releases
of Microsoft® Office, including Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP,
and Microsoft Office 2000, however, the Office Web Components will not ship
with the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The version of OWC that shipped with
the 2003 release of Microsoft Office will be the last revision to this
technology. Additionally, the ability to author OWC-based web pages is also
being removed from Microsoft Office 2007 applications such as Microsoft
Office Excel® 2007 and Microsoft Office Access 2007, and OWC will not ship
with Microsoft Office SharePoint® Designer 2007, which is partially based on
Microsoft Office FrontPage® 2003. Though they will not be updated, the
components will ship with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007."

Guest

for office Web component it is working properly even after upgrading from
Excel 2003 to Excel 2007.
But there are reports which we write using excel object. Like draw some
Flights (Calendar in cells of work book Like this)

Jan feb March April May ..........................

TV ............

Such type of functionality we are providing in this custom excel report .
We are creating XML file to write this data and then convert it to .xls file .
All .xml files created at run time on the server.
This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007 :(

Thanks
Shashank

Mark Rae [MVP]

This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007 :(

I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?

Guest

i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excel forum :) already

thanks Mark for your quick response

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office 2007. OWC
is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
Office product for functionality.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Gorgo

You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office2007. OWC
is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
Office product for functionality.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Shameless Author Plug
OWC Black Book 2nd Edition
Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc
$24.99

message

- Poka¿ cytowany tekst -

Hey

I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
excel object not with OWC.

To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
really appreciate it.

going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
the "Type.Missing".

thank you in advance for any clue
regards
Gorgo

Mark Rae [MVP]

I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
excel object not with OWC.

To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
really appreciate it.

going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
the "Type.Missing".

Read the thread again. If you're trying to use server-side Office automation
in ASP.NET, this is never going to work...

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Mark, why do you think it is never going to work? What exactly will stop it
from working?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Shameless Author Plug
OWC Black Book 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc
$24.99

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

We've been here before, Alvin...

Precisely. You said it doesn't work. These articles do not support you
claim. There is a difference between software not working and software not
being supported. For instance, in the second article you linked, it
indicates:

<quote>Regardless, it may be absolutely required to use Office in this
manner [server side automation]. </quote>

Even Microsoft recognizes that applications will be run in this manner even
if there is no product support for this approach. Developers simply choose
to manage the risk. And that is one reason why you see developers coming
here for server-side automation help. Indicating that it won't work is
simply technically incorrect. By the way, i have personally gotten Microsoft
product support to help me solve server-side office automation issues even
if their official statement claims otherwise. These people do understand the
dollar impact of having production software go down. There are lots of
applications out there that automate office on the server in the real
world - I personally get numerous requests for help in this area. The chief
reason for developers proceeding with office server automation is that
microsoft has provided no suitable, cost-effective alternative.

I recommend you modify your stance to Office server automation is not
supported.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Shameless Author Plug
OWC Black Book 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc
$24.99

Mark Rae [MVP]

Precisely. You said it doesn't work. These articles do not support you
claim. There is a difference between software not working and software not
being supported.

Yes, but the reason it isn't supported is precisely because it doesn't work,
at least, not with any sort of reliability. There may be instances where it
will work for a while, but it really is a disaster waiting to happen.
For instance, in the second article you linked, it indicates:

<quote>Regardless, it may be absolutely required to use Office in this
manner [server side automation]. </quote>

LOL! But that's just marketing...:) Fact is, there is never *any* need need
to use server-side Office automation because there are other products
available which do the job reliably - they're just not Microsoft products...

The article also says: "We do not recommend or support Automation to a
Microsoft Office application from an unattended user account." That's much
more than simply not supporting it - Microsoft actively does not recommend
it...

The article also says: "Caution Automation of any Office application from an
unattended, non-interactive user account is risky and unstable." The clue
here is "risky and unstable"...

The article also says: "Warning Office was not designed, and is not safe,
for unattended execution on a server." The clue here is "not safe"...

We're way beyond "not supported" here...
The chief reason for developers proceeding with office server automation
is that microsoft has provided no suitable, cost-effective alternative.

That is completely true. It's also completely irrelevant:
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Default.aspx
I recommend you modify your stance to Office server automation is not
supported.

How about: "Server-side Office automation is not support and not recommended
because it is unsafe, risky and unstable due to the fact that Office was not
designed to be used in this manner"...

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Don't get distracted, you said it doesn't work. That is simply not correct
and that is what I am pointing out.

To say that:
there is never *any* need need to use server-side Office automation

is a statement you simply should not be making, for obvious reasons. It's ok
to peddle the Aspose product, but not at the expense of technically
incorrect information.

--

Mark Rae said:
[...]

Thanks all for your help.
We face this problem in QA environment and problem get solved by registring
office.
That team miss to register the Office 2007 :(