Problem with MultiLine TextBox

Joel Finkel

Folks,

I have a form that has several TextBoxes, some of which have the TextMode set to MultiLine. Each is pre-loaded with data from a database. The user is allowed to modify each entry.

The problem is that only the modified data from the SingleLine TextBoxes are returned. The original data are returned for the MultiLine TextBoxes. Also, if the page is sent to the server (for validation, for instance), only the modified data for the SingleLine TextBoxes have been saved in the ViewState and are redisplayed correctly. The original data are re-displayed in the MultiLine TextBoxes.

Examination of the HTML code shows that the only difference in the declaration is the addition of these attributes:

Rows="4" TextMode="MultiLine"

I wonder if other people have run into the same problem or have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)

Jj

Post your code please (html). Are you missing runat=server in the multiline text box ?

Jianjun

[...]

Sure, here is the HTML code for the TextBoxes that are MultiLine.

<asp:TextBox id="tbHowIHeard" style="Z-INDEX: 110; LEFT: 136px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 522px" runat="server" Width="466px" Height="90px" CssClass="textBoxData" Rows="4" TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:TextBox id="tbActivities" style="Z-INDEX: 112; LEFT: 136px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 636px" runat="server" Width="466px" Height="90px" CssClass="textBoxData" Rows="4" TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:TextBox id="tbVolunteer" style="Z-INDEX: 114; LEFT: 136px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 752px" runat="server" Width="466px" Height="90px" CssClass="textBoxData" Rows="4" TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>

/Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Sorry, could you please post the code behinde too? How are you initializing the original text in the code behind?

Jianjun
[...]

Anon

Try a simpler example and see if you get the same behavior. I just created a form with a multiline textbox, initialized it with data, ran it, caused a postback, initial data still there, changed the text, caused a postback, and the changed data is coming back with the new text as expected. I have also used multiline textbox in database applications and have never seen the behavior you are stating.

[...]

Jianjun,

Here is some of the code. It is very simple. It is identical to code that is used for SingleLine TextBoxes.

/Joel

// declare the variable
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox tbHowIHeard;

Inside of the Page_Load event handler:

// load the variable from the DataSource
tbHowIHeard.Text = drMember["HOW_I_HEARD", DataRowVersion.Original].ToString();

Inside of the bntSave_Click event hander:

// store the modified data
sqlUpdateCommand1.Parameters["@HOW_I_HEARD"].Value = tbHowIHeard.Text;

[...]

Indeed, a simple form with two TextBoxes, one SingleLine and one MultiLine, works fine.

Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Pilot error. The problem was that I was cloberring the results in the Page_Load event handler by misplacing code outside the if !IsPostBack check. Like most bugs, it was hard to find and easy to fix. THanks for your time.