Problems loading web pages

Jon

I can't run aspnet applications after doing building it in Visual
Studio. I can load the application in my browser until I make changes
in vs. After that, it just hangs. I've waited up to 5-10 minutes for
the page to load, but eventually have to shut off the power as
everything stops responding. I've been having this problem for a while,
so I'd really appreciate it if I could get a suggestion.

Jon Cosby

Guest

Hi Jon,

The first thing I would try is killing the aspnet_wp.exe process using the
task manager. That will cause it to recycle and should fix this "hanging"
problem. This is not the long-term solution, though.

Are you using VS.NET 2003, or a later version? Maybe you need to upgrade
your system to .NET framework 1.1 with VS.NET 2003?

Do you have mssearch installed and enabled? There are some issues with
mssearch and VS.NET being able to write assemblies that are being searched by
mssearch. Try disabling mssearch on your computer when you are developing
your projects. Again, this is not a long-term solution.

Do you have any IIS accelerators installed? Things that attempt to cache,
compress, or otherwise intercede in requests? If so, disable or remove them
from your development machine. They might be holding locks on the assemblies
that could be causing timeouts.

If everything stops responding after 5-10 minutes, then it sounds like it
could be drive related (hardware failure), memory, or a COM interop
incompatibility (some software you have installed could be interferring with
IIS/Windows).

Run a chkdsk on your drives to make sure they are healthy. Also, you can
get a memory checker from OCA.MICROSOFT.COM that will identify any memory
errors on your system.

Hope that helps.

-- Jake

Jon

javatopia said:
Hi Jon,

The first thing I would try is killing the aspnet_wp.exe
process using the task manager. That will cause it to
recycle and should fix this "hanging" problem. This is
not the long-term solution, though.

I can't run the Task Manager.
Are you using VS.NET 2003, or a later version? Maybe
you need to upgrade your system to .NET framework 1.1
with VS.NET 2003?

I'm using 2002, and an upgrade is not possible at this time. The
problem came up in recent months, I've used 2002 for three years before
this without a problem.
Do you have mssearch installed and enabled? There are
some issues with mssearch and VS.NET being able to write
assemblies that are being searched by mssearch. Try
disabling mssearch on your computer when you are
developing your projects. Again, this is not a
long-term solution.
Do you have any IIS accelerators installed? Things
that attempt to cache, compress, or otherwise intercede
in requests? If so, disable or remove them from your
development machine. They might be holding locks on
the assemblies that could be causing timeouts.

No accelators or search tools.
If everything stops responding after 5-10 minutes, then
it sounds like it could be drive related (hardware
failure), memory, or a COM interop incompatibility (some
software you have installed could be interferring with
IIS/Windows).

Maybe it wasn't clear, I waited 5 minutes for the modified page to
load. Everything stops responding when I try to load the modified page.
I don't have this problem with other web pages. After booting up again,
the modified page loads normally.
Run a chkdsk on your drives to make sure they are healthy.
Also, you can get a memory checker from OCA.MICROSOFT.COM
that will identify any memory errors on your system.

These bring up nothing, neither does the event viewer.