problems with a JAVA-Fish tank on my site

fufko

I'm having problems with a JAVA-Fish tank I put on my BLOG today. The
Fish are suppose to move around in the tank. It seems to work just fine
in Safari and Opera Browsers and even in my Explorer on my OS X system.
But I heard for mot Explorer Users it will not work and just displays a
lifeless little image. Why is that, and can I solve that problem ?
take a look :
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/

Thank you, Greetings from Hansi

Roedy Green

I'm having problems with a JAVA-Fish tank I put on my BLOG today. The
Fish are suppose to move around in the tank. It seems to work just fine
in Safari and Opera Browsers and even in my Explorer on my OS X system.
But I heard for mot Explorer Users it will not work and just displays a
lifeless little image. Why is that, and can I solve that problem ?
take a look :
http://www.jumpingpixels.com/

Try clicking the image to prod it to life. This is the latest salvo
in Microsoft's anti-Java war. Older versions of IE don't have the
problem.

If that does not work you may have too old a Java. See
http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html to find out what you have. You
want 1.5

For some other browsers see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
Try clicking the image to prod it to life. This is the latest salvo
in Microsoft's anti-Java war. Older versions of IE don't have the
problem.

This was not a voluntary measure on their part, they were *forced* to do
this as a result of the Eolas lawsuit.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/oct03/10-06eolaspr.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

Even though I don't use IE on the Windows machines I use, I've avoided
installing the update that does this. Since it's not a critical
security issue, it comes up as an optional update on Windows Update.
Users might also be able to uninstall it.

Roedy Green

This was not a voluntary measure on their part, they were *forced* to do
this as a result of the Eolas lawsuit.

They chose to handle the problem that way rather than settle the suit
or find some other way around it.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
They chose to handle the problem that way rather than settle the suit
or find some other way around it.

When faced with a lawsuit, most parties will try to maximize their own
interests, not those of unrelated third parties.

Jeffrey Schwab

Alan said:
When faced with a lawsuit, most parties will try to maximize their own
interests, not those of unrelated third parties.

Most companies don't consider their customers unrelated third parties.
Most software vendors don't consider their developers unrelated third
parties. It's the customers and developers who get hurt when important
interfaces and backward compatibility are broken.

Alan Krueger

Jeffrey said:
Most companies don't consider their customers unrelated third parties.
Most software vendors don't consider their developers unrelated third
parties. It's the customers and developers who get hurt when important
interfaces and backward compatibility are broken.

I must point out that Microsoft *is* fighting this lawsuit. Eolas is
done with Microsoft, there are other targets it can focus on, like
Opera, Firefox, etc. (Though if they don't, you can bet it's because
they wanted major cash out of the patent, not protection of their
patented software process.)

Microsoft has plenty of problems worth complaining about, but getting
bitten by someone else's otherwise-unused software patent isn't (IMHO)
one of them. If you want to take a swing at Microsoft about this, point
out that they're doing the same thing to other companies through
pointless innovation-squashing software patents, and that this ought to
teach them a lesson.

Roedy Green

Microsoft has plenty of problems worth complaining about, but getting
bitten by someone else's otherwise-unused software patent isn't (IMHO)
one of them. If you want to take a swing at Microsoft about this, point
out that they're doing the same thing to other companies through
pointless innovation-squashing software patents, and that this ought to
teach them a lesson.

After what MS did to Stacker, I have no sympathy for MS.