Problems with displaying a flash movie in a showing / hiding div

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Daan, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Daan

    Daan Guest

    On one of my websites, I have a menu in the same style as the menu on
    http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/ However, when I replace the text
    content with a flash menu, the behaviour becomes broken: Firefox won't
    display the flash movie until you click on the place where it should
    appear, and Safari still displays part of the movie, even when the
    menu is not expanded.

    I tried to create a workaround using the following javascript code:

    function toggleMenu() {
    myHeight.toggle();
    if (menuShowing) {

    document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='hidden';
    menuShowing = false;
    } else {

    setTimeout("document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='visible';",
    500);
    menuShowing = true;

    In Safari 3 on OS X this works fine, however, in Firefox it still
    won't display the flash movie until it is clicked on and in IE7 the
    behaviour is 'weird', sometimes it works, sometimes not.

    Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    Daan, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Daan

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 17, 9:00 am, Daan <> wrote:
    > On one of my websites, I have a menu in the same style as the menu onhttp://codeigniter.com/user_guide/However, when I replace the text
    > content with a flash menu, the behaviour becomes broken: Firefox won't
    > display the flash movie until you click on the place where it should
    > appear, and Safari still displays part of the movie, even when the
    > menu is not expanded.
    >
    > I tried to create a workaround using the following javascript code:
    >
    > function toggleMenu() {
    > myHeight.toggle();
    > if (menuShowing) {
    >
    > document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='hidden';
    > menuShowing = false;
    > } else {
    >
    > setTimeout("document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='visible';",
    > 500);
    > menuShowing = true;

    > In Safari 3 on OS X this works fine, however, in Firefox it still
    > won't display the flash movie until it is clicked on and in IE7 the
    > behaviour is 'weird', sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    > know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    I had some problems a long time ago with using visibility to switch a
    flash movie on and off. The movie had sound, and although the visuals
    would switch on and off(at least on a browser or two I tried) the
    sound always played on some browsers. I also once had some problems
    with a video(don't remember if it was flash or some other format) that
    was loaded hidden and then switched on at some point, the problem
    being that it did not switch on. The solution was to load the video as
    visible and then use a very short time delay to switch it off at once.
    Then the movie would switch on again when instructed to do so at some
    time.

    You might be able to get around this if you can remake the movie using
    the modern flv/swf approach. The actual video is a separate flv(flash
    video) file. The swf is a container file that links to the swf video.
    You can generate all kinds of players and actions in the swf container
    file including auto start or not, various control bars, logos, text,
    etc. More recent official flash authoring programs can do this, and
    there are some other programs at a more reasonable price that will do
    most things that people need for flv/swf.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Daan

    Daan Guest

    On Jun 17, 6:40 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 9:00 am, Daan <> wrote:
    >

    > > On one of my websites, I have a menu in the same style as the menu onhttp://codeigniter.com/user_guide/However, when I replace the text
    > > content with a flash menu, the behaviour becomes broken: Firefox won't
    > > display the flash movie until you click on the place where it should
    > > appear, and Safari still displays part of the movie, even when the
    > > menu is not expanded.

    > > I tried to create a workaround using the following javascript code:

    > > function toggleMenu() {
    > > myHeight.toggle();
    > > if (menuShowing) {

    > > document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='hidden';
    > > menuShowing = false;
    > > } else {

    > > setTimeout("document.getElementById('objectFlashMenu').style.visibility='vi sible';",
    > > 500);
    > > menuShowing = true;
    > > }

    > > }

    > > In Safari 3 on OS X this works fine, however, in Firefox it still
    > > won't display the flash movie until it is clicked on and in IE7 the
    > > behaviour is 'weird', sometimes it works, sometimes not.

    > > Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    > > know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    > I had some problems a long time ago with using visibility to switch a
    > flash movie on and off. The movie had sound, and although the visuals
    > would switch on and off(at least on a browser or two I tried) the
    > sound always played on some browsers. I also once had some problems
    > with a video(don't remember if it was flash or some other format) that
    > was loaded hidden and then switched on at some point, the problem
    > being that it did not switch on. The solution was to load the video as
    > visible and then use a very short time delay to switch it off at once.
    > Then the movie would switch on again when instructed to do so at some
    > time.
    >
    > You might be able to get around this if you can remake the movie using
    > the modern flv/swf approach. The actual video is a separate flv(flash
    > video) file. The swf is a container file that links to the swf video.
    > You can generate all kinds of players and actions in the swf container
    > file including auto start or not, various control bars, logos, text,
    > etc. More recent official flash authoring programs can do this, and
    > there are some other programs at a more reasonable price that will do
    > most things that people need for flv/swf.

    Maybe my use of the word 'movie' is a little confusing, the flash
    object that I have on the website is not a 'movie', but an interactive
    menu. It has some animation and clickable areas and serves as the main
    navigation for the website.

    Daan, Jun 17, 2007
  4. On Jun 17, 10:00 am, Daan <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    > know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    How about posting a URL displaying the problem?

    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Daan

    Daan Guest

    On Jun 18, 11:59 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 10:00 am, Daan <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    > > know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    > How about posting a URL displaying the problem?

    That's a little difficult, as the development server is protected by a
    password. I was hoping that my description alone would trigger some
    reaction. If not, I'll try and see if I can post part of the site on a
    public server.

    Daan, Jun 18, 2007
  6. On Jun 18, 10:31 am, Daan <> wrote:
    > > > Does anyone have experience with this kind of behaviour and perhaps
    > > > know of a fix or workaround? Thanks for any help.

    > > How about posting a URL displaying the problem?

    > That's a little difficult, as the development server is protected by a
    > password. I was hoping that my description alone would trigger some
    > reaction. If not, I'll try and see if I can post part of the site on a
    > public server.

    You are only demonstrating the concept. put enough code there to
    demonstrate how it breaks.

    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Daan

    Daan Guest