Problems with version 5.8.0 on OS/2

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Smith, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. David Smith

    David Smith Guest

    Is anyone out there running this version of Perl on OS/2? I am trying to
    install it (obtained from Hobbes), and am encountering some problems.

    I have the following files

    perl-5.8.0-bin-aout.zip
    perl-5.8.0-bin.zip
    perl-5.8.0-core.zip
    perl-5.8.0-doc.zip

    and am unable to execute programs. I believe my problem is with a
    thing called @INC. According to @INC, this version of Perl was built
    with a target drive of L:. I want to change this to D:. If I
    understand correctly, the PERLLIB_PREFIX statement placed (as one
    option) in the config.sys (which I have done) should override the
    prebuilt target drive with one of my choosing. I have "set
    PERLLIB_PREFIX = L:/Perl/lib;D:\Perl\lib" in my config.sys. Entering
    "set" at a command promt verifies this. However, this doesn't work.

    Suggestions? Recommendations? Thank you.
    David Smith, Feb 12, 2004

    David Smith
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > Is anyone out there running this version of Perl on OS/2? I am trying to
    > install it (obtained from Hobbes), and am encountering some problems.
    >
    > I have the following files
    >
    > perl-5.8.0-bin-aout.zip
    > perl-5.8.0-bin.zip
    > perl-5.8.0-core.zip
    > perl-5.8.0-doc.zip
    >
    > and am unable to execute programs. I believe my problem is with a
    > thing called @INC. According to @INC, this version of Perl was built
    > with a target drive of L:. I want to change this to D:. If I
    > understand correctly, the PERLLIB_PREFIX statement placed (as one
    > option) in the config.sys (which I have done) should override the
    > prebuilt target drive with one of my choosing. I have "set
    > PERLLIB_PREFIX = L:/Perl/lib;D:\Perl\lib" in my config.sys. Entering
    > "set" at a command promt verifies this. However, this doesn't work.

    Automatic installer should have set this for you. With wrapping of
    your post, it is hard to understand whether your set statement is
    correct. PERLLIB_PREFIX is not case-sensitive, so this should not be
    the problem, though. Please report your @INC and the value of
    $ENV{PERLLIB_PREFIX}.

    Note also that 5.8.2+ has much better handling of PERLLIB_PREFIX; keep
    in mind, though, that the configuration failes for the binary
    installer on CPAN is botched, and the replacement sits in a wrong
    directory. ;-( Use ilyaz.org/software/tmp/plINSTAL-fixed.zip instead.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 13, 2004

  3. David Smith

    Bart Lateur Guest

    David Smith wrote:

    >Is anyone out there running this version of Perl on OS/2? I am trying to
    >install it (obtained from Hobbes), and am encountering some problems.
    >
    >I have the following files
    >
    >perl-5.8.0-bin-aout.zip
    >perl-5.8.0-bin.zip
    >perl-5.8.0-core.zip
    >perl-5.8.0-doc.zip
    >
    >and am unable to execute programs. I believe my problem is with a
    >thing called @INC. According to @INC, this version of Perl was built
    >with a target drive of L:. I want to change this to D:. If I
    >understand correctly, the PERLLIB_PREFIX statement placed (as one
    >option) in the config.sys (which I have done) should override the
    >prebuilt target drive with one of my choosing.

    That's not what I read. From the README:

    Set the Perl environment variables, the most important of which
    is PERL_LIBPATH. Its format is build/path; install\path. For
    example:

    set PERL_LIBBATH = L:/Perl/lib; X:\Perl\lib;

    where X is the drive on which you install Perl. This can be done
    either in config.sys or at a command prompt.

    So: you seem to be setting the wrong environment variable for this
    effect.

    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, Feb 14, 2004
    Bart Lateur
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > >and am unable to execute programs. I believe my problem is with a
    > >thing called @INC. According to @INC, this version of Perl was built
    > >with a target drive of L:. I want to change this to D:. If I
    > >understand correctly, the PERLLIB_PREFIX statement placed (as one
    > >option) in the config.sys (which I have done) should override the
    > >prebuilt target drive with one of my choosing.

    > That's not what I read. From the README:
    >
    > Set the Perl environment variables, the most important of which
    > is PERL_LIBPATH. Its format is build/path; install\path. For
    > example:

    Unless this build is completely broken, this is just bullshit. See

    view perl perlos2

    for details.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 14, 2004
  5. David Smith

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    >Unless this build is completely broken, this is just bullshit.

    No need to yell at me, I have nothing to do with all this. Just go and
    see for yourself,

    <http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?dir=/pub/os2/dev/perl>

    Get one of the binary distributions, and look at the README.

    All I did was quote.

    Now go yell at the person who made that distribution, if you must.

    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, Feb 15, 2004
    Bart Lateur
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >
    > >Unless this build is completely broken, this is just bullshit.

    > No need to yell at me, I have nothing to do with all this.

    Com'on, you call *this* yelling?! Just you wait... ;-)

    Sorry if you took this as being a missile in your direction (although
    now I understand how you got this impression ;-(). In fact it was not
    an invective at all; consider it as a statement of the relation of the
    statement of README to the reality (or what the reality should better
    be).

    > Just go and see for yourself,

    Having written this code, and having written the documentation about
    how things work, I'm not much interested. ;-)

    Yours,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 15, 2004