Professional C++

Thomas Matthews

puzzlecracker said:
Hey colleagues, has anyone read Professional C++ by Nicholas A. Solter,
Scott J. Kleper
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-4502796-1724825?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
and can provide a suggestive review?

Save yourself some money and purchase these books:
Accelerated C++
The C++ Programming Language
The C++ Primer
Effective C++
More Effective C++
The Standard Template Library by Josuttis

Many of your issues shall be resolved after reading
the above books. Other recommended books:
The Art Of Computer Programming (all volumes)
Data Structures + Algorithms = Programs
Design Patterns
Compiler Design (i.e. the Dragon book)

This should keep you busy for a while.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Mike Wahler

Thomas Matthews said:
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764574841/qid=1106263526/sr=
8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-4502796-1724825?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Pardon me if I may make a few clarifications:
Save yourself some money and purchase these books:
Accelerated C++
by Koenig & Moo
The C++ Programming Language
by Bjarne Stroustrup (a.k.a. "god" in C++ circles)
(be sure to get Third or Special Edition (or later).
The C++ Primer

In case it affects searching for it, note that there is
no "The" in this title, it's simply "C++ Primer" (by
Lippman & Lajoie). Also note that the Fourth edition
is imminent or available, imo worth waiting for --
Ms. Moo of "Accelerated" fame contributed to this
edition.
Effective C++
More Effective C++
both by Scott Meyers

Effective STL
also by Meyers
The Standard Template Library by Josuttis

That's "The C++ Standard Library, a Tutorial and Reference".
(Josuttis has indeed co-authored, with David Vandevoorde, a book
on C++ templates, named, unsurprisingly "C++ Templates".)
(I also have another book by Josuttis which I like, "Object Oriented
Programming in C++".
Many of your issues shall be resolved after reading
the above books. Other recommended books:
The Art Of Computer Programming (all volumes)
by Donald Knuth (imo a timeless classic, applicable
for any programmer, in any language).
Data Structures + Algorithms = Programs
I don't know author(s) of this one
Design Patterns
by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, & Vlissides (often referred
to as "Gamma et.al." or "Gang of Four")
Compiler Design (i.e. the Dragon book)
I don't know author(s) of this one
(and I don't think it's necessary for most folks,
except those interested in compiler design and
writing compilers)
This should keep you busy for a while.

I have all of the above[*] except the "Dragon Book", and
I must agree about 'busy'. :)

[*] I have the CD forms of "Effective" and "Design patterns",
which are quite convenient (searchable, have copy-pastable
code, etc.). They also cost less than the hard copy forms.

HTH,
-Mike

Mike Wahler

Thomas Matthews said:
[...]

GB

Mike said:
I don't know author(s) of this one

Niklaus Wirth, the creator of the Pascal programming language, 1975.
I don't know author(s) of this one
(and I don't think it's necessary for most folks,
except those interested in compiler design and
writing compilers)

The original edition is Aho and Ullman. Later edition has Hopcroft as
well, I believe.

Both of these are "classic" books, with about the same stature as The
Art of Computer Programming (which I think probably has more
recommending than reading associated with it).

Gregg

Alf P. Steinbach

* Mike Wahler:
Mike Wahler said:
I have all of the above[*] except the "Dragon Book",

and "DS + A = P"

"DS+A=P" was an extremely nice little book. But one book I remember
of the same order of niceness, and havent't seen for 15-20 years, was
about functional programming. It's possible I'm confusing it with the
Lucid book, but I think it was the one that had a very systematic and
humorous explanation of "cowboy programmer", "guru", "ivory tower"; I
just can't remember the title of that book (it was a little larger).

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
and "DS + A = P"

"A + DS = P", FWIW.

For anybody who might want to look for it (and I'd certainly add my
recommendation) the ISBN is 0-13-022418-9

Jerry Coffin

[ .. ]
I don't know author(s) of this one
(and I don't think it's necessary for most folks,
except those interested in compiler design and
writing compilers)

Aho, Sethi and Ullman. IMO, it's quite useful outside of compiler
writing -- parsers are suitable for many complex input formats.

Jerry Coffin

The original edition is Aho and Ullman. Later edition has Hopcroft as
well, I believe.

That was Aho, Sethi and Ullman. OTOH, Aho, Hopcraft and Ullman wrote
_Data Structures and Algorithms_, which would be a reasonable addition
to the list at hand as well.
Both of these are "classic" books, with about the same stature as The
Art of Computer Programming (which I think probably has more
recommending than reading associated with it).

He can certainly go a bit overboard in places (e.g. see below), but
especially those of us with a grey hair or two (no more than two --
that's my story and I'm sticking to it :) ) really did study it a lot,
if only because there was a time when serious alternatives hardly
existed.

As long as we're recommending books, I'll add in a few more to the
list:

_C++ FAQs_ by Cline and Lomow (with other contributors nearly beyond
count).
and one that _might_ have been referred to elsethread:

_Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_ by Abelson, Sussman
and Sussman. This uses Scheme rather than C++, but every programmer
should learn some variant of Lisp in their life -- even if they only
rarely use it directly.

_Design and Evolution of C++_ by Bjarne Stroustrup. Tells about _why_
the language is the way it is. Definitely not a high priority book for
a beginner, but certainly an interesting read.

_Introduction to Algorithms_ by Cormen, et al.

As an aside, I'd note that only ONE of the algorithm books is really
needed: Knuth OR Cormen et al OR Aho et al. Of the threee, I tend to
recommend Cormen, et al as a reasonable compromise between the other
two. Knuth's chapter on sorting alone is about the length of Aho,
Hopcraft and Ullman's entire book. Cormen has plenty of detail, without
Knuth's 25+ pages of calculus about Euclid's GCD algorithm (for one
example). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have TAOCP books and (as I
implied above) I really have studied them quite a lot -- but I suspect
Knuth often tends to confirm many beginners' worst fears.

red floyd

Mike said:
[...]

Niklaus Wirth (of Pascal fame)

I don't know author(s) of this one
(and I don't think it's necessary for most folks,
except those interested in compiler design and
writing compilers)

Aho & Ullman.

Actually, there are *2* dragon books, the Green Dragon book and the Red
dragon book. Both are good.

red floyd

Jerry said:
[ .. ]

I don't know author(s) of this one
(and I don't think it's necessary for most folks,
except those interested in compiler design and
writing compilers)

Aho, Sethi and Ullman. IMO, it's quite useful outside of compiler
writing -- parsers are suitable for many complex input formats.
That's the red dragon book. The green dragon book is Aho&Ullman only.

Jerry Coffin

That's the red dragon book. The green dragon book is Aho&Ullman only.

True, but AFAIK, the green dragon book hasn't been avaialble (at least
new) for quite a while now, and I can't think of much that would
justify finding a used copy instead of buying the red dragon book.
OTOH, if somebody happens to run across a used copy at a good price,
there's not really a lot of reason to avoid it either, so perhaps
bringing it up was a good thing anyway.

Martin Stettner

Jerry said:
[ .. ]

Aho, Sethi and Ullman. IMO, it's quite useful outside of compiler
writing -- parsers are suitable for many complex input formats.
And it'd be no damage if anyone using a compiler knows a little bit
about how it does its job ...