Programatically stopping/starting a webservice/website with IIS 5.1 and higher

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by nano2k, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    Hi
    I have a standalone updater app that will update my webservice. I'm
    using .NET 1.1 and IIS 5.1.
    Beside copying some files, this also means updating a database through
    a db script.
    This process may take one hour or more.
    Meanwhile, I want to reject all clients' requests.
    What's the best way to do it?
    I thought it would be a good idea to stop the webservice until the
    entire updating operation finished because I don't want any client to
    "wake up" the webservice until the entire update opration succeded.
    I know this is a rough method, but I need it. I don't want the
    webservice to respond while half-updated. Is there a way to control
    IIS?
    One method is to use iisreset with /stop and /start flags, but this
    will affect ALL websites and I cannot do that. I only want to affect
    MY website.
    I'm pretty sure that Active Directory (AD) is the answer, but it's
    very difficult to use. Some code snippets could help me.
    Alternatively, I'm open to new ideas.
    Thanks.

    nano2k, Aug 9, 2007