Programatically stopping/starting a webservice/website with IIS 5.1 and higher

nano2k

Hi
I have a standalone updater app that will update my webservice. I'm
using .NET 1.1 and IIS 5.1.
Beside copying some files, this also means updating a database through
a db script.
This process may take one hour or more.
Meanwhile, I want to reject all clients' requests.
What's the best way to do it?
I thought it would be a good idea to stop the webservice until the
entire updating operation finished because I don't want any client to
"wake up" the webservice until the entire update opration succeded.
I know this is a rough method, but I need it. I don't want the
webservice to respond while half-updated. Is there a way to control
IIS?
One method is to use iisreset with /stop and /start flags, but this
will affect ALL websites and I cannot do that. I only want to affect
MY website.
I'm pretty sure that Active Directory (AD) is the answer, but it's
very difficult to use. Some code snippets could help me.
Alternatively, I'm open to new ideas.
Thanks.