Programming Skills

Lew

Same way they get to Carnegie Hall.  Practice.

The canonical punchline is, "Practice, practice, practice!"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_Hall#Folklore>

There is a purpose to the repetition.

Specifically, read tutorials, try the examples, create sample projects
for yourself, read books, try the examples, create sample projects for
yourself, engage a study partner, trade examples, create sample
projects for yourselves.

Pick one or two areas to practice at a time until you're comfortable
with them. For example, I spent some time studying and trying JSF
(Java Server Face). I spent some time likewise with JPA (the Java
Persistence API), using as a sample project one where I'd used my own
custom JDBC layer (three different ways) first. Lately I've been
studying Java Enterprise portal application development (and
deployment). I tried a "WeatherMap" example once I figured out how to
install a portal server (OpenPortal, this time). Next it was time to
create my own simple portal app.

If you are just starting out with a programming language or
environment, there are often online tutorials that provide excellent
starting points. For example,
<http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/>

Roedy Green

How Can Anyone Increase Their Programming Skills .

There is nothing like tackling a project a bit beyond your current
abilities that uses technology you are not yet familiar with. It can
be a miniature project. You don't learn than much doing the same
thing over and over.

See http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Here is a point of no return after which warming becomes unstoppable
and we are probably going to sail right through it.
It is the point at which anthropogenic (human-caused) warming triggers
huge releases of carbon dioxide from warming oceans, or similar releases
of both carbon dioxide and methane from melting permafrost, or both.
Most climate scientists think that point lies not far beyond 2°C (4°F) C hotter."
~ Gwynne Dyer