provider of mobile services

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by ray well, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. ray well

    ray well Guest

    hi,

    i'm new to mobile computing.. i have a project that i need to develop within
    ..net for mobile services, so that people with enabled phones or pda can
    access the site.

    we first have to get a host provider who will broadcast these pages so we
    can test our app, not all web hosting providers do that.

    i would appreciate if i could get some recomendations of providers? i don't
    know how these providers call themselves, so i don't know what to search for
    on the internet.

    is there some site that lists them?

    are these providers regional, or do they broadcast all over the country?

    thanks,

    ray

    ray well, Sep 7, 2004

  2. If I'm understanding your question, and you're using ASP.NET (I'd gather
    this, as you're posting to an ASP.NET newsgroup), then one resource is the
    list of hosting companies on the http://asp.net site, at this URL:
    http://www.asp.net/Hosters/.

    --
    Andrew Enfield
    Programmer Writer, Windows CE

    Andrew Enfield \(MS\), Sep 7, 2004

  3. ray well

    ray well Guest

    andrew

    thanks for the link.

    i wasn't looking for a general .net hosting service, i was aware of that.

    i'm looking for a hosting site so that people using an enabled pda, or a
    browser enabled phone, could connect to a site over the air without needing
    a physical connection. this site in addition to having the net framwork,
    also needs to broadcast web requests over the air.

    i would appreciate some info for this.

    thanks

    ray

    ray well, Sep 8, 2004
  4. I'm not sure what you mean by 'broadcast web requests over the air.' An
    internet-enabled phone or PDA can access content in one of two ways (at
    least as I understand it):
    - Pull. At a high level, this is no different than accessing the internet
    from a PC. The connection happens wirelessly over GPRS, CDMA 1x, or whatever
    transport the phone/PDA uses, but again, at a high level, the phone is just
    requesting content from a server, and the server is just returning that
    content. If you're using the ASP. NET mobile controls to author pages, you
    just need a provider that has ASP .NET, as well as internet-enabled phones
    or PDAs.
    - Push. SMS (or perhaps there are other 'push' methods?). Most providers -
    AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. - have an email interface to their SMS systems, so you
    can send an email message to a particular address - like , I
    think - and an SMS message will be sent to a particular phone. I don't have
    any experience with push beyond this, so I don't know if you'd be able to do
    what you're talking about, or if there are other push options. If you want
    more info here, this newsgroup probably isn't the best place - not sure
    where else off the top of my head you could check.

    Hope this helps.

    Andrew Enfield \(MS\), Sep 9, 2004
  5. ray well

    ray well Guest

    andrew,

    thanks for your response.

    i'm new the whole concept of mobile development. here is what i need to do.
    i need users to be able to access a site from their pda/enabled-phone. this
    site supplies them with info derived from databases done thru asp net and
    ado net.

    my understanding was that the host who is hosting the site needs to
    broadcast the requested pages from their own site wirelessly over the air.
    and was looking for such a provider.

    what i understand from your answer quoted below is that the broadcasting is
    a function of the users of the pda/enabled-phone. in other words the phone
    company does the providing. the phone company receives the page request from
    a browser running on the pda, they then execute the request at their place
    on a pc, and feed the return
    back to to pda's browser.

    if i'm correct with my understanding of this, then i don't have to worry
    about the site host. i can use any regular provider that has .net framework
    installed and a
    windows web server.

    if i'm right, then what is the meaning of a mobile project, in what way is a
    mobile project different than a regular ASP .NET application? is it that the
    form size is constrained, or something like that?

    do regualr wireless phone providers like Verison, ATT have GPRS, CDMA 1x? in
    short what would i need to do so i can debug this from the users end. i
    guess i would need to get an enabled device (would u know what the technical
    name for this is so i know what to ask for?), and an enabled phone line
    (again what is the technical name for this service?)

    thanks again

    ray

    ray well, Sep 9, 2004
  6. ray well

    ray well Guest

    thanks juan, i now get the hang of the whole thing, and will try it out. ray

    ray well, Sep 12, 2004