Publish Web Site Oddity

sonet192

When I go to publish my web site with Visual Studio 2005, it would
delete the destination files then claim the entire process was
successful. When I check to see if all the files and folders were
copied over, a majority of them are missing. Any clue why this would
occur?

Tony S.

Guest

"Publish" does not copy "all the files" - it deploys only the files needed to
run the Web Application. Also, depending on which Application configuration
you are using, "Web site" or "Web Application Project" (separate add-in)
there are additional radio buttons you can check / uncheck that control what
and what type gets copied to the target location.
Peter

Sonet

All the necessary files for my website are not getting copied over.
The project was created as a "Web site" and not a "Web Application".

Guest

Are the files you expect to be "published" actually in the project? Because
when I use the publish option with a "Web Site" project, EVERYTHING gets
copied to the new location - even a SQL Server script that is in there as a
Solution Item.
Peter

Sonet

Yes, since they are mainly aspx files. This only occurs when I publish
my website over a VPN. Sometimes it will copy everything like expected
while other times it just does a couple files on the root of the
website. Are you aware of any publish logs being created when you
start the process?