Published Web Architecture Reference Code for N-Tier Systems?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Will, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Is there any published system that includes sample source code, that
    illustrates a good presentation / business / data layer partitioning of a
    web based n-tier application?

    The papers and books I have seen all deal with generalizations that are
    mostly obvious and aren't very useful in committing something to code.
    Everyone agrees that a well structured application should have presentation
    layer, business layer, and data layer. The devil is always in details,
    and no one publishes details. I want to see code for a large well
    structured system that actually holds together and is easier to expand by
    virtue of how it implements a layered multi-tier design.

    The sample code I have seen, such as Microsoft's multi-tier sample
    applications, appear to be completely amateurish efforts by college students
    or people with no real commercial code experience. They are mostly
    implemented in absolutely random ways that simply trivialize the value of
    good architectural layering. I guess they are mainly meant as ways to run
    Microsoft APIs.

    I'm particularly interested in seeing:

    - How authentication is handled, what kinds of cookies are created, and what
    kinds of information is stored in each cookie. If authentication protocols
    like Kerberos are being used, how are those integrated? Having code to
    show just this piece alone would be highly desirable.

    - How is the interface between the presentation layer that creates XML and
    the business layer that handles business transactions handled, particularly
    when the business layer is run on a separate computer? Getting the right
    level of granularity in this interface seems hard. If you have all of the
    data validation methods in your business layer, your presentation code is
    making too many calls into the business layer, and that hurts performance if
    you move that business layer to another machine.

    --
    Will
    Will, Jul 13, 2006