pull down menus

Discussion in 'HTML' started by gleekzorp, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. gleekzorp

    gleekzorp Guest

    Hi Group...

    I'm using this /old/ method of pulldown menus,
    is there another (better) way of doing it? Something
    that looks better.

    <script language="JavaScript">
    function fetch(){
    var newtemp;
    var tempurl;
    var x=document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.selectedIndex;
    newtemp=document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.options[x].value;
    if (newtemp != null) {
    location=newtemp;
    }
    document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.selectedIndex=0;
    }
    </script>

    <form method="post" action="" name="gotoForm">
    <select name="gotoMenu" onChange="fetch()">
    <option selected>
    Site Index&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    </option>
    <option value="&nbsp;">
    &nbsp;
    <option value="index.html">
    Home &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="about.html">
    About Us &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="designed_sites.html">
    Client Websites &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="banners.html">
    Banners &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="logo.html">
    Logos &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="secure_pricing.html">
    Contact Us &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="web_links.html">
    Web Links &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="credits.html">
    Credits &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <option value="faq.html">
    Frequently Asked Questions&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
    </select>
    </form>

    ---------------------

    Another programer suggested...

    quote:

    > I can tell you what you should look for. If it's for a site
    > wide navbar type of thing look for something that uses a
    > list of ~<= 7 main category links. Sub links to the main
    > categories should be listed on the main category pages,
    > again using an unordered list with links.

    > This provides you with a good quality basic site navigation
    > that unlike some other solutions doesn't place a large
    > number of navigation links on each page. It will work for
    > those who don't use javascript, this includes SE bots.

    > Then you can use javascript to dynamically add the sub links
    > to the main category nav links, for example in the form of
    > drop down menus.

    -----------------------------------

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... Nature sides with the hidden flaw.
    --- Squish/386 v1.11
    * Origin: Gypsy BBS -- Gypsy Designs CDN (403) 242-3221 (1:134/2)
    gleekzorp, Sep 11, 2005

  2. gleekzorp

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Sep 12, 2005

  3. gleekzorp

    the idiot Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > gleekzorp wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using this /old/ method of pulldown menus,
    > > is there another (better) way of doing it?

    > Anything's got to be better than what you've got now.
    >
    > Try:
    > http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example/

    i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i
    can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
    and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
    work at all.
    do most designers ignore opera
    is there a glitch in my version
    or is there something wrong with the code?
    the idiot, Sep 12, 2005
  4. gleekzorp

    Toby Inkster Guest

    the idiot wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Try:
    >> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example/

    > and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
    > work at all.
    > do most designers ignore opera

    I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page works just
    dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6, which I think you'll find
    is only a beta (there was never an official 7.6x release). That said, back
    when I *was* using the 7.6 betas, I'm pretty sure that page worked, so I'm
    guessing the issue is specific to your installation/settings.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 12, 2005
  5. the idiot wrote:
    <snip>
    > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i
    > can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
    > and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
    > work at all.
    > do most designers ignore opera
    > is there a glitch in my version
    > or is there something wrong with the code?

    Must be you ;-) Works with my test version 7.56 with and without
    JavaScript (which is required for MSIE)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 12, 2005
  6. gleekzorp

    > the idiot wrote:
    > > Toby Inkster wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try:
    > >> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example/

    > > and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu

    doesnt
    > > work at all.
    > > do most designers ignore opera

    > I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page works just
    > dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6, which I think you'll find
    > is only a beta (there was never an official 7.6x release). That said, back
    > when I *was* using the 7.6 betas, I'm pretty sure that page worked, so I'm
    > guessing the issue is specific to your installation/settings.

    as far as i know i have its normal default settings.... maybe its time to
    upgrade.
    the idiot, Sep 12, 2005
  7. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby Inkster:

    > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice
    > i'll borrow it so i can see how it works (reverse
    > engineering) etc and i was so excited till i looked at in
    > opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt work at all. do most
    > designers ignore opera is there a glitch in my version or is
    > there something wrong with the code?

    Hmmmmm..

    Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
    but I wish to be know as gufus around here. :)

    Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
    my fishy code (stinks)....

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... Real programmers use COPY CON <progname>.EXE
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  8. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Toby,

    Monday September 12 2005, Toby Inkster writes to gleekzorp:

    > gleekzorp wrote:
    >> I'm using this /old/ method of pulldown menus,
    >> is there another (better) way of doing it?

    > Anything's got to be better than what you've got now.

    Afternoon Sir.

    Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
    but I wish to be know as Gufus, around here...

    Okay?

    > Try:
    > http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example
    > /
    > http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

    Excellent, just a example I was looking for Toby, I
    know my code was a bit fishy (stinks) but it did
    work, even tho I was forcing users to use JavaScrip.

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... That's not a bug. It's an undocumented Feature.
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  9. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Toby,

    Monday September 12 2005, Toby Inkster writes to the idiot:

    > I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page
    > works just dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6,

    Yep... I'm using Opera ver: 8.0, my code works fine with
    that version.

    Gufus

    .... Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  10. gleekzorp

    the idiot Guest

    "Gufus" <> wrote in message
    > Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby Inkster:

    > > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice
    > > i'll borrow it so i can see how it works (reverse
    > > engineering) etc and i was so excited till i looked at in
    > > opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt work at all. do most
    > > designers ignore opera is there a glitch in my version or is
    > > there something wrong with the code?

    > Hmmmmm..
    >
    > Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
    > but I wish to be know as gufus around here. :)
    >
    > Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
    > my fishy code (stinks)....

    good good good. i would rather it be me than them.
    the idiot, Sep 13, 2005
  11. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby Inkster:

    > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice
    > i'll borrow it so i can see how it works (reverse

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com/copyright.txt.html

    Gufus

    .... If a cow laughs hard does milk come out its nose?
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  12. Gufus wrote:

    > Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
    > my fishy code (stinks)....

    Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

    -
    Blinky the Shark
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 13, 2005
  13. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Tuesday September 13 2005, the idiot writes to Gufus:

    > "Gufus" <> wrote in message

    >> Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby
    >> Inkster: From: i had a look at the
    >> link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com/copyright.text.html

    > good good good. i would rather it be me than them.

    No problem bro...

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... Hello...Incontinence Hotline". "Can you hold, please?
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  14. gleekzorp

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Blinky,

    Monday September 12 2005, Blinky the Shark writes to Gufus:

    > From: lid
    > Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

    Hahahahaha...now that FUNNY! Mr. 'Blinky the Shark'

    You made my day.. it was a busy day for me!

    Gufus

    mailto:
    http://www.gypsy-designs.com

    .... Don't be a loner, Cover your Boner lid
    Gufus, Sep 13, 2005
  15. gleekzorp

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Gufus quothed:

    > Afternoon Sir.
    >
    > Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
    > but I wish to be know as Gufus, around here...
    >
    > Okay?

    A definite improvement...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  16. gleekzorp

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > Gufus wrote:
    >
    > > Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
    > > my fishy code (stinks)....

    > Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

    Sorry to be a bubble-breaker, but it's a known fact that when fish is
    kept too long, it smells. Are you, uh, over 2 weeks old?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  17. gleekzorp

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Gufus quothed:

    > Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby Inkster:

    > > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice
    > > i'll borrow it so i can see how it works (reverse

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > http://www.gypsy-designs.com/copyright.txt.html
    >
    > Gufus
    >
    > ... If a cow laughs hard does milk come out its nose?

    Only if the joke is udder-nonsense.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  18. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
    >
    >> Gufus wrote:
    >>
    >> > Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
    >> > my fishy code (stinks)....

    >> Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

    > Sorry to be a bubble-breaker, but it's a known fact that when fish is
    > kept too long, it smells. Are you, uh, over 2 weeks old?

    Same thing with old people. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 13, 2005
  19. gleekzorp

    Dr.Tube Guest

    Hi "the idiot"

    > i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice

    i'll borrow it so i
    > can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
    > and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in

    which the menu doesnt
    > work at all.

    I was testing this menu in an Opera 7.? (I can't remember
    which one exactly) and it didn't wotk there either. Once I
    updated to Opera 8.02 it started working.
    More discerning is the fact that it doesn't fold out in
    Safari, THE primary browser for Mac OSX... I wish I knew
    why...

    --
    Greetz,
    Xavier van Unen
    Dr.Tube, Sep 13, 2005
  20. gleekzorp

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > >> Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

    > > Sorry to be a bubble-breaker, but it's a known fact that when fish is
    > > kept too long, it smells. Are you, uh, over 2 weeks old?

    > Same thing with old people. ;)

    You can always change their diapers and sprinkle their tushes with rose
    water. But once a fish gets BO, it's time for that last swim down the
    toilet to piscine Paradise.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005