py2exe -> error in PYTHON23.DLL

Discussion in 'Python' started by Grant Edwards, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
    containing a single line:

    print "hello world"

    When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
    machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
    dialog box that says

    Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
    Hello will now close

    If you continue to experience problems,
    try restarting your computer.

    Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    It runs find on the machine where I did the bundling and on
    another XP machine.

    The machine where I bundled up things is using py2exe 0.5.1a1
    and running

    ActivePython 2.3.2 Build 232 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
    Python 2.3.2 (#49, Nov 13 2003, 10:34:54) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! These PRESERVES
    at should be FORCE-FED to

    Grant Edwards, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Grant Edwards <> writes:

    > Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
    > containing a single line:
    >
    > print "hello world"
    >
    > When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
    > machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
    > dialog box that says
    >
    > Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
    > Hello will now close
    >
    > If you continue to experience problems,
    > try restarting your computer.
    >
    > Any ideas on what the problem might be?
    >
    > It runs find on the machine where I did the bundling and on
    > another XP machine.
    >
    > The machine where I bundled up things is using py2exe 0.5.1a1
    > and running
    >
    > ActivePython 2.3.2 Build 232 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
    > Python 2.3.2 (#49, Nov 13 2003, 10:34:54) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

    Most of the time (but not always) the problem is that py2exe copies
    system specific dlls to the dist folder. What files do you have there?
    Or could it be that the target machine doesn't have msvcrt.dll (which is
    needed by the Python dll, but not copied by py2exe).

    (Un?)fortunately I have no access to winME...

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Jul 2, 2004

  3. On 2004-07-02, Thomas Heller <> wrote:

    > Most of the time (but not always) the problem is that py2exe
    > copies system specific dlls to the dist folder. What files do
    > you have there?

    $ ls -l
    total 1292
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grante grante 45056 Jul 2 13:16 hello.exe
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grante grante 208795 Jul 2 13:14 library.zip
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grante grante 974929 Nov 13 2003 python23.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grante grante 57421 Nov 13 2003 _sre.pyd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grante grante 16384 Nov 13 2003 w9xpopen.exe

    > Or could it be that the target machine doesn't have msvcrt.dll
    > (which is needed by the Python dll, but not copied by py2exe).

    The destination system has two copies of msvcrt.dll in

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    C:\Program files\Aladdin Systems\StuffIt Standard

    > (Un?)fortunately I have no access to winME...

    The failure seems to be intermittent. About 1 of 3 tries it
    will run. Other times it fails with failures equally divided
    between reboots and error dialogs.

    The flakey machine had a fresh install of WinMe done about two
    months ago with nothing much besides Cygwin installed since
    then. I guess I'll just write it off to standard Windows
    flakiness. Why people put up with that sort of behavior in an
    OS baffles me.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Mary Tyler Moore's
    at SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing

    Grant Edwards, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Grant Edwards

    RPM1 Guest

    "Grant Edwards" <> wrote in message
    > Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
    > containing a single line:
    >
    > print "hello world"
    >
    > When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
    > machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
    > dialog box that says
    >
    > Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
    > Hello will now close
    >
    > If you continue to experience problems,
    > try restarting your computer.
    >
    > Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    I had a problem with py2exe on WinMe & Win98 because
    it needed a unicode extension called unicows. That fixed it.

    Patrick

    RPM1, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Grant Edwards

    David Fraser Guest

    Thomas Heller wrote:
    > Grant Edwards <> writes:
    >

    >>Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
    >>containing a single line:
    >>
    >>print "hello world"
    >>
    >>When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
    >>machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
    >>dialog box that says
    >>
    >> Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
    >> Hello will now close
    >>
    >> If you continue to experience problems,
    >> try restarting your computer.
    >>
    >>Any ideas on what the problem might be?
    >>
    >>It runs find on the machine where I did the bundling and on
    >>another XP machine.
    >>
    >>The machine where I bundled up things is using py2exe 0.5.1a1
    >>and running
    >>
    >> ActivePython 2.3.2 Build 232 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
    >> Python 2.3.2 (#49, Nov 13 2003, 10:34:54) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>

    > Most of the time (but not always) the problem is that py2exe copies
    > system specific dlls to the dist folder. What files do you have there?
    > Or could it be that the target machine doesn't have msvcrt.dll (which is
    > needed by the Python dll, but not copied by py2exe).
    >
    > (Un?)fortunately I have no access to winME...
    >
    > Thomas

    Surely py2exe should be able to handle this a bit more gracefully than
    crashing / restarting the machine? Maybe a check for the dll would be in
    order....

    David

    David Fraser, Jul 5, 2004
  6. On 2004-07-03, RPM1 <> wrote:

    > "Grant Edwards" <> wrote in message
    >> Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
    >> containing a single line:
    >>
    >> print "hello world"
    >>
    >> When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
    >> machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
    >> dialog box that says
    >>
    >> Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
    >> Hello will now close
    >>
    >> If you continue to experience problems,
    >> try restarting your computer.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    > I had a problem with py2exe on WinMe & Win98 because
    > it needed a unicode extension called unicows. That fixed it.

    AFAICT, it's py2exe that needs unicows.dll, not the resulting
    application package. IOW, you need unicows.dll on the
    development machine but not on the target machines.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Darling, my ELBOW
    at is FLYING over FRANKFURT,

    Grant Edwards, Jul 5, 2004