PyEphem on winXP

Discussion in 'Python' started by jbattat@cfa.harvard.edu, Sep 21, 2005.

    I'm a (sort of) newbie to python and would like to install the PyEphem
    extension to Python. I'm using Python 2.4
    I obtained PyEphem from:
    http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/projects/pyephem.html

    When i ran python setup.py install my error was:
    "error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
    extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
    it isn't installed"

    Browsing this group led me to the following URL where I could get (for
    free) the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en

    However I still see the same error when running
    python setup.py install.
    I know that Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is the same as version 7.1, but is
    this the same as Visual Studio 7.1?

    If so, can Visual Studio 7.1 be obtained for free?
    If not, is there a workaround?

    I've seen suggestions in the group that you can recompile Python 2.4
    using MinGW or some other c compiler. I'd be willing to do that, but
    do not know how to go about recompiling python. Advice on this would
    also be helpful.

    Thanks,
    James
    , Sep 21, 2005

  2. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    | Hi,
    |
    | I'm a (sort of) newbie to python and would like to install the PyEphem
    | extension to Python. I'm using Python 2.4
    | I obtained PyEphem from:
    | http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/projects/pyephem.html
    |
    | When i ran python setup.py install my error was:
    | "error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
    | extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
    | it isn't installed"
    |
    | Browsing this group led me to the following URL where I could get (for
    | free) the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en

    | However I still see the same error when running
    | python setup.py install.
    | I know that Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is the same as version 7.1, but is
    | this the same as Visual Studio 7.1?

    It should work.

    Did you follow the instructions as per
    http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/ ?