pygtk - icons?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Helmut Jarausch, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    please bear in mind that I'm an absolute newcomer to (py)gtk.
    I'm trying to install the nice synchronization tool
    http://live.gnome.org/Conduit

    which is written in Python and use pyGTK.

    This installed several icons e.g.
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/conduit.png

    When run, Conduit fails to find its icons.

    For testing purposes I've tried

    import gtk
    info=gtk.icon_theme_get_default().lookup_icon("conduit",16,0)

    which produces the error message
    GtkWarning: Could not find the icon 'conduit'. The 'hicolor' theme
    was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
    You can get a copy from:
    http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

    On my Gentoo system lots of packages have placed icons under
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor

    So, what am I missing.

    Many thanks for a hint,
    Helmut.