PyGTK install

Lionel

Hello folks, I couldn't find a specific PyGTK forum so I thought I'd
post here and hope someone new the answer. I feel it's a silly
problem, maybe something to do with a path variable? The problem: I've
downloaded the "all-in-one" windows binary installer for PyGTK from
their website. After typing in their first tutorial program and trying
to run from the command line, I get:

"This application has failed to start because libglib-2.0-0.dll was
not found" error dialog.

The traceback indicates this is happening at the "import gtk" line. A
quick search of my install directory for PyGTK indicates that the file
is indeed resident and located in C:\Program files\PyGTK\GTK\bin.

Is there some some sort of path variable for Python I need to modify
and, if so, how is this done? Thanks so much, and my apologies if this
is the wrong forum.

[...]

Well, I tried uninstalling / reinstalling PyGTK and now I'm getting a
different traceback error:

"ImportError: no module named pygtk"

I checked and pygtk.py is located in "c:\Python25\Lib\site-packages".
Then I displaye the sys.path:

IDLE 1.2['C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\Lib\\idlelib', 'C:\\Program Files\
\PyGTK\\Python\\python25.zip', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\
\DLLs', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\lib', 'C:\\Program Files\
\PyGTK\\Python\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\lib\
\lib-tk', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK
\\Python\\lib\\site-packages']

Every single entry is related to PyGTK and nothing else. Something
seems wrong here but I don't have enough Python experience to know
just what. Anyone?

[...]

IDLE 1.2>>> import sys
['C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\Lib\\idlelib', 'C:\\Program Files\
\PyGTK\\Python\\python25.zip', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\
\DLLs', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\lib', 'C:\\Program Files\
\PyGTK\\Python\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python\\lib\
\lib-tk', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK\\Python', 'C:\\Program Files\\PyGTK
\\Python\\lib\\site-packages']

Every single entry is related to PyGTK and nothing else. Something
seems wrong here but I don't have enough Python experience to know
just what. Anyone?- Hide quoted text -

Okay, out of desperation and frustration I've wiped my Python/SciPy/
etc.. setup and reinstalled from scratch. I've tested it with my app
and all the numpy and matplotlib functionality is there and working.
My sys.path seems to be back to normal:

IDLE 1.2.4['C:\\Python25\\Lib\\idlelib', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\python25.zip',
'C:\\Python25\\DLLs', 'C:\\Python25\\lib', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\\plat-
win', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Python25', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\
\site-packages']

I will now re-install PyGTK and see if it mysteriously decides to work
this time.

Lionel

[...]

IDLE 1.2.4>>> import sys
['C:\\Python25\\Lib\\idlelib', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\python25.zip',
'C:\\Python25\\DLLs', 'C:\\Python25\\lib', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\\plat-
win', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Python25', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\
\site-packages']

I will now re-install PyGTK and see if it mysteriously decides to work
this time.- Hide quoted text -

Nope. Now I'm getting:

"The applciation has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not
found."

Don't know what else to try here. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric_Dexter

[...]
sys.path
[...]

Don't know what else to try here. Anyone have any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

you can try downloading an older version... I haven't updated mine
for over a year. I am using the version that goes with python 2.5 and
windows (I perfer to try wxwindows first usualy..) and it seems to
work o.k. .... I don't know if that will help or not..