PyQT installation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nanoscalesoft, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. hello all,
    I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
    python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
    windows would be fine.
    I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
    from import qt *
    execute...........................I have the basic python core. I went
    through the sites like riverbankcomputing and trolltech and few online
    pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
    installation step properly.
    I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
    the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
    CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
    have to do)
    Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
    as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
    or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
    need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.

    regards,
    Charles

    (doing an example program wud be a welcome sweeet)

    Nanoscalesoft, Dec 30, 2004

  2. On Thursday 30 December 2004 1:27 am, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
    > hello all,
    > I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
    > python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
    > windows would be fine.
    > I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
    > from import qt *
    > execute...........................I have the basic python core. I went
    > through the sites like riverbankcomputing and trolltech and few online
    > pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
    > installation step properly.
    > I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
    > the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
    > CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
    > have to do)
    > Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
    > as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
    > or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
    > need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.

    Exactly what versions of Python, Qt and PyQt have you installed?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 30, 2004

  3. hi phil...
    py-->2.4
    pyqt-->3.3
    qt-->2.3.0

    Nanoscalesoft, Dec 30, 2004
  4. On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
    > hi phil...
    > py-->2.4
    > pyqt-->3.3

    I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

    > qt-->2.3.0

    I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

    The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
    2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
    of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Nanoscalesoft

    Steve Holden Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:

    > On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
    >
    >>hi phil...
    >>py-->2.4
    >>pyqt-->3.3

    > I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
    >

    >>qt-->2.3.0

    > I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
    >
    > The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
    > 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
    > of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
    >
    > Phil

    If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
    best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
    no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
    said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

    Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
    the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
    there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Steve Holden, Quinta 30 Dezembro 2004 14:13, wrote:

    > If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
    > best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
    > no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
    > said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

    "non-commercial" binaries he said... I hope it is just the non-commercial
    really, 'cause the look & feel of Qt is very nice.

    > Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
    > the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
    > there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

    Isn't it possible to compile everything with a free compiler? I'm not a
    Windows user, but... :)

    --
    Godoy. <>

    Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho, Dec 30, 2004
  7. On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
    > Phil Thompson wrote:
    > > On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
    > >>hi phil...
    > >>py-->2.4
    > >>pyqt-->3.3

    > > I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
    > >
    > >>qt-->2.3.0

    > > I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
    > >
    > > The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
    > > Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
    > > edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
    > >
    > > Phil

    > If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
    > best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
    > no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
    > said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
    >
    > Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
    > the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
    > there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

    You've completely misunderstood what I said.

    I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
    based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
    just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
    source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
    PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

    I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
    still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
    of the alternatives.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 30, 2004
  8. does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

    Nanoscalesoft, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Nanoscalesoft

    Steve Holden Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:

    > On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
    >
    >>Phil Thompson wrote:

    >>>I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

    >>>I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
    >>>
    >>>The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
    >>>Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
    >>>edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
    >>>
    >>>Phil

    >>If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
    >>best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
    >>no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
    >>said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
    >>
    >>Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
    >>the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
    >>there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

    > You've completely misunderstood what I said.

    And not for the first time, probably. Mea culpa.

    > I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
    > based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
    > just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
    > source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
    > PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

    Well, OK, so I take it this means that TrollTech have announced they
    won't be producing an up to date non-commercial edition?

    I presume the non-commercial edition is for people who want to use Qt
    but don't want to pay licensing fees or open their source? Or is the GPL
    version only available on non-Windows platforms? Of all the GUI
    platforms I know about, Qt certainly has the murkiest licensing picture.

    > I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
    > still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
    > of the alternatives.

    I have no quibble with that - as I know, there are a lot of happy Qt
    users, and it has an interestingly different architecture. It would be
    even better if the licensing requirements were consistent across all
    platforms.

    and-if-wishes-were-horses-ly y'rs - steve

    Steve Holden, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Nanoscalesoft

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Nanoscalesoft wrote:

    > does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

    Whoa, how did you get it?

    You can buy commercial licenses and be as current as we are on Linux
    with GPL versions of Qt+PyQt. Oh, and QScintilla and Eric3!

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/

    Jarek Zgoda, Dec 30, 2004
  11. Jarek Zgoda <> wrote:

    > Nanoscalesoft wrote:
    >
    > > does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

    > Whoa, how did you get it?
    >
    > You can buy commercial licenses and be as current as we are on Linux
    > with GPL versions of Qt+PyQt. Oh, and QScintilla and Eric3!

    MacOSX, too. And it's COOL to program (haven't looked at all into 4.0
    yet -- I'm mostly talking about 3.*)... I dunno, its programming model
    just appears to fit my brain very well, I guess.

    BTW: used to be that the cheapest way to get commercial licenses for Qt
    use from Python only (i.e. if you didn't care to write C++ code for it
    anyway) was to purchase BlackAdder -- a usable IDE by itself, btw,
    though no doubt not as powerful in debugging as WingIDE. I haven't
    recently checked whether that is still true, however.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Dec 31, 2004
  12. Steve Holden <> wrote:

    > I presume the non-commercial edition is for people who want to use Qt
    > but don't want to pay licensing fees or open their source? Or is the GPL
    > version only available on non-Windows platforms? Of all the GUI
    > platforms I know about, Qt certainly has the murkiest licensing picture.

    I don't find it murky, myself: GPL is available for good platforms (such
    as MacOSX and Linux), if you insist on using/releasing for Windows, you
    have to pay, period.

    Non-commercial edition is NOT for release or ANY commercial use, just
    for learning.

    Basically: if you want it on Windows for free, forget Qt (I hear the
    cygwin people are trying to make a GPL Qt available for Win+cyg+XFree,
    but I suspect trolltech ain't happy about that -- anyway, I don't think
    it would be "native", X11 being still required). That's how Trolltech
    chooses to finance their development -- make money from firms which want
    to release for Windows (or ones which want to release closed-source for
    Unix or Mac, but I suspect there's few of the latter), use some part of
    that money to support and encourage free software on free platforms or
    platforms _close enough_ to free (Mac OS X itself ain't free -- but its
    underpinnings, Darwin, are... a nice variant on open-source BSD...).

    There _WERE_ (4 years ago? 5?) some licensing hassles, and some kind of
    stand-off between Trolltech/Qt on one side and the FSF on the other
    (which resulted in the birth of Gnome as an alternative to Qt-based KDE,
    if I recall correctly). But that WAS a long time ago, and now that the
    GPL version is available (though not for Windows) and has been for quite
    a while I'm pretty sure not even Stallman has bones to pick with
    Trolltech's licensing any more.

    Fairly or not, it does seem Trolltech is paying in terms of mindshare
    for their not-for-free attitude to Windows among the
    free-as-in-free-beer software crowd -- if a GPL version was available
    for Windows I'm pretty sure PyQt would be the default de facto Python
    GUI toolkit today, rather than having wx and Tk vie for the crown (with
    GTK as a somewhat-distant third, it appears to me, and Qt nowhere in
    sight because "it ain't free for Windows"). But really, there hasn't
    been anything murky about it for _years_... take it or leave it, it's
    rather clear and well-defined, it seems to me!

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Dec 31, 2004
  13. Nanoscalesoft

    Brian Guest

    For those curious about Trolltech's stance on Windows, here's what
    Trolltech's "License FAQ - Open Source Edition" (
    http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/license_gpl.html ) has to say:

    " Why is there no Open Source (GNU GPL) version of Qt on Windows ?

    We have regrettably not found a way of making GPL versions for Windows
    available without risking the very business model we depend upon to be
    able to further develop and support Qt.

    Please note that if you make the source code for your project available
    and your license allows it, any holder of a commercial Qt Windows
    license can create binaries for your project. "

    Brian, Dec 31, 2004
  14. Nanoscalesoft

    John J. Lee Guest

    (Alex Martelli) writes:
    [...]
    > Basically: if you want it on Windows for free, forget Qt

    Correct.

    > (I hear the
    > cygwin people are trying to make a GPL Qt available for Win+cyg+XFree,
    > but I suspect trolltech ain't happy about that -- anyway, I don't think
    > it would be "native", X11 being still required).

    [...]

    Not correct. It's driven by KDE, and it's more ambitious than that:

    http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/roadmap.php

    IIRC, people have already run some KDE apps under Windows (though
    still needing X, so far).

    I wonder how TrollTech will react as (and if) it progresses.

    John

    John J. Lee, Jan 1, 2005
  15. Nanoscalesoft

    Ken Godee Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:

    > (Alex Martelli) writes:
    > [...]
    >
    >>Basically: if you want it on Windows for free, forget Qt

    > Correct.

    I believe the book "C++ GUI programming Qt3" comes
    with a windows Qt gpl 3.x version. Just have to buy
    the book. No PyQt version to match thou.

    Blackadder from the Kompany, while not free, is still
    a pretty good deal. Like < $100 for personal and around
    $350 for commercial version. Include current windows/linux
    versions of (Qt)PyQt along with converted Qt C++ to PyQt docs.

    > Not correct. It's driven by KDE, and it's more ambitious than that:
    >
    > http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/roadmap.php
    >

    > IIRC, people have already run some KDE apps under Windows (though
    > still needing X, so far).
    >
    > I wonder how TrollTech will react as (and if) it progresses.

    I don't think your giving TrollTech any credit here, yes they have
    a business model and need to make money, but not everybody is
    Microsoft. They are fully aware and supportive of the project
    and I remember reading not to long ago they struck an aggrement
    with the project that if anything ever happened to TrollTech they
    would release Qt to project under gpl, or something like that.

    Ken Godee, Jan 1, 2005
  16. Nanoscalesoft

    John J Lee Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Ken Godee wrote:
    [...]
    > I believe the book "C++ GUI programming Qt3" comes
    > with a windows Qt gpl 3.x version. Just have to buy
    > the book. No PyQt version to match thou.

    "GPL only if you buy the book" makes no sense. Either it's GPL or it
    isn't. (It isn't, in fact.)

    [...]
    > > IIRC, people have already run some KDE apps under Windows (though
    > > still needing X, so far).
    > >
    > > I wonder how TrollTech will react as (and if) it progresses.
    > >

    > I don't think your giving TrollTech any credit here, yes they have
    > a business model and need to make money, but not everybody is
    > Microsoft. They are fully aware and supportive of the project
    > and I remember reading not to long ago they struck an aggrement
    > with the project that if anything ever happened to TrollTech they
    > would release Qt to project under gpl, or something like that.

    I'd forgotten about that agreement (again, driven by KDE). Reassuring,
    assuming the legalese corresponds to what one assumes is the spirit of it,
    and that it will hold water if/when tested in the courts.

    I am surprised if they support the effort to make a GPL native MS Windows
    version of Qt. They wouldn't have to be evil monopolists to be concerned
    about this development, IMHO.

    John

    John J Lee, Jan 1, 2005
  17. Nanoscalesoft

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Ken Godee wrote:

    > I believe the book "C++ GUI programming Qt3" comes
    > with a windows Qt gpl 3.x version. Just have to buy
    > the book. No PyQt version to match thou.

    No, Sir. It's a "non-commercial" edition. At the request from Trolltech,
    there's no PyQt-nc available for this version of Qt.

    > Blackadder from the Kompany, while not free, is still
    > a pretty good deal. Like < $100 for personal and around
    > $350 for commercial version. Include current windows/linux
    > versions of (Qt)PyQt along with converted Qt C++ to PyQt docs.

    This is much better way to get PyQt for Windows!

    Jarek Zgoda, Jan 1, 2005