Python 2.5 and sqlite

Thorsten Kampe

* "Martin v. Löwis" (Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:58:35 +0100)
If you think making a distinction between the SQLite package and the
libsqlite package is pedantic - I don't have a problem with that.

I think that is not only pedantic - it is also inaccurate. There is
no SQLite package, nor is there a libsqlite package, in the bigger+
world.
[..]
So there is no SQLite download, nor is there a libsqlite download.

I don't know what specific packages you are talking about - probably
about the way your Linux distribution choses to package things.

Some Distributions (for example SUSE) have a package called libsqlite
[1].
So the shared library *is* required (as that is the typical way in
which SQLite is built)

,--- * [2]
| > That's not what I meant: the question is, do you need SQLite /after/
| > you've built from source or if you install the Python binary.
|
| Depends on how you built SQLite on your system. If it was a static
| library, you won't need it - if it is a shared library, you certainly
| need the shared library at run-time.
`---
And that is nit-picking.

No, it's not. That was my advice for people here who wanted to build
Python with SQLite support but claimed not having rights to install it.
Obviously...
You don't have to do the "make install" step, but I would suggest to
do that, anyway, even on a machine where you don't have admin rights.
You just pass --prefix to the configure of the amalgamated sources.
This puts sqlite nicely into bin, include, and lib directories, so
that Python's setup.py can find it easier.

....this advice is even much better (but I didn't think of it).

Thorsten
[1] http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=libsqlite
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/0d7ec003e4d3ea42