Python Agile Software Development Tools Screencasts

Discussion in 'Python' started by percious, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. percious

    percious Guest

    percious, Jul 7, 2008

  2. percious

    Robert Kern Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > percious <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I started a new series about python on showmedo. Please feel free to
    >> take a look.

    > I'd love to, but showmedo refuses to show presentations to me without
    > installing non-free software.

    mplayer works just fine on the .flv's.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jul 8, 2008

  3. percious

    Robert Kern Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Robert Kern <> writes:
    >
    >> Ben Finney wrote:

    >>> I'd love to, but showmedo refuses to show presentations to me
    >>> without installing non-free software.

    >> mplayer works just fine on the .flv's.

    > Note that "works with mplayer" is not the same thing as "doesn't
    > require non-free software"; many "works with mplayer" stories have the
    > unspoken addendum of "... with these non-free codec libraries
    > installed". But, not having the video files, I can't say whether
    > that's the case in this instance.

    I believe .flv is entirely handled by ffmpeg.

    > Okay. Where would the public link to those files be?
    >
    > If I need to "log in" just to download it, that's a needless barrier
    > that's going to turn me away too.

    Yes, you do need to log in. If you don't want to do it, that's fine. I certainly
    don't care.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jul 8, 2008
  4. Ben Finney wrote:
    > Robert Kern <> writes:
    >

    >> Ben Finney wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay. Where would the public link to those files be?
    >>>
    >>> If I need to "log in" just to download it, that's a needless barrier
    >>> that's going to turn me away too.
    >>>

    >> Yes, you do need to log in.
    >>

    > Thanks.
    >

    >> If you don't want to do it, that's fine. I certainly don't care.
    >>

    > No problem.
    >
    > I hope the OP, who wanted people to see his videos, does care enough
    > to put them somewhere people can get them without needless barriers.

    The URL for the flv is:

    http://videos1.showmedo.com/ShowMeDos/2910000.flv

    I hope the presenter doesn't mind, but it is quite simple to discover
    using open source tools like firebug. As for playing back flvs with free
    software, there is Gnash -- an open source flash player --
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Freeman, Jul 8, 2008
  5. Ben Finney wrote:
    > Andrew Freeman <alif016+AEA-gmail.com> writes:
    >
    >> http://videos1.showmedo.com/ShowMeDos/2910000.flv
    >>

    > Which leads one to wonder why they don't just present that URL for
    > download instead of behind a "log in" gate. And how long that will be
    > possible before they break it +IBQ- presumably the site admins put that
    > barrier there for a reason.

    It appears that the url would be difficult to change; it appears to be
    mapped to a database:
    http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=2910000 ACY-fromSeriesID=291
    notice the "name" is the same in this URL and the flv.
    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Freeman, Jul 8, 2008