Python and ESRI (GIS)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Churches, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Tim Churches

    Tim Churches Guest

    The following notice about Geographic Info systems posts appeared in my in-box:

    > Research Associate - GIS and Health (2 Posts) Department of Geography,
    > University of Canterbury, New Zealand
    > http://www.geog.canterbury.ac.nz/vacant.shtml
    > The Department of Geography, University of Canterbury is looking to
    > appoint two GIS Research Associates. The successful candidates with be
    > expected to contribute towards three separate projects, all
    > investigating aspects of GIS & Health.
    > Candidates should have at least an MSc in GIS or a related field, have
    > knowledge of spatial analysis methods, and have technical skills in
    > ESRI's ArcGIS software, preferably supported by Python or AML.

    It seems that Python skills are now highly desirable for GIS people using ESRI
    products - and ESRI has a major slice of the GIS software market. ESRI seems to be
    positioning Python as a replacement for its own proprieatry scripting language
    (Avenue)? Is that correct?

    Tim C

    Tim Churches, Sep 17, 2004