Python and Math

Rustom Mody

Yesterday, I spent one hour attemepting to install IPython
for Py3.3 (win 7), I failed. I do not even succeed to
understand how. Pip, setuptools, whl or manualy with from the
zip... completely lost. There is always something not working.
This morning I installed Py 3.4.1. I do not even
succeed to put it to work.
I know Python since v 1.5.6 !
I'm able to write "Numerical Recipes" in Python,
(I did it in Py2 and Py3), I'm unable to install
a piece of software (like Python) to work with.

So what're you waiting for?
Ask here and someone or other will help you get your system running.

wxjmfauth

Le lundi 19 mai 2014 18:09:24 UTC+2, Rustom Mody a écrit :
So what're you waiting for?

Ask here and someone or other will help you get your system running.

--------

You know. You are right. I can only agree. Just ask.
The problem I see, is why I only "succeded" to just find
on Google, so many people who are just asking...

Tim Golden

I realise that this probably isn't very helpful, but I've just
successfully installed ipython on Python 3.3 and Python 3.4 (Win7
32-bit) by simply doing:

py -3.3 -mpip install ipython

py -3.4 -mpip install ipython

Since I don't have the various c:\pythonxx\scripts folders on my path, I
did then have to launch it explictly:

c:\python33\scripts\ipython

but it was no harder than that.

What problems are you experiencing?

TJG

Cameron Simpson

Le lundi 19 mai 2014 18:09:24 UTC+2, Rustom Mody a écrit :
Yesterday, I spent one hour attemepting to install IPython
for Py3.3 (win 7), I failed. I do not even succeed to
understand how. Pip, setuptools, whl or manualy with from the
zip... completely lost. There is always something not working.
[...]

So what're you waiting for?
Ask here and someone or other will help you get your system running.

You know. You are right. I can only agree. Just ask.
The problem I see, is why I only "succeded" to just find
on Google, so many people who are just asking...

I have the same core skill: finding others with my question, not others with my
needed answer. That the SO can usually find others with the answer when I
cannot shows that there may be a mindset issue here.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <[email protected]>

Did microsoft take you today? Where do you want them to go?

wxjmfauth

Le lundi 19 mai 2014 21:18:54 UTC+2, Tim Golden a écrit :
I realise that this probably isn't very helpful, but I've just

successfully installed ipython on Python 3.3 and Python 3.4 (Win7

32-bit) by simply doing:

py -3.3 -mpip install ipython

py -3.4 -mpip install ipython

Since I don't have the various c:\pythonxx\scripts folders on my path, I

did then have to launch it explictly:

c:\python33\scripts\ipython

but it was no harder than that.
Sorry, but I'm even not able to understand how
to install pip!
Py3.3, why? because I already all the Qt derivative.

I found the pip manual, I do not get it! To install
pip: To install or upgrade pip, securely download get-pip.py.
Where? What should I do with it?

It seems you
have to
install

Tim Golden

Le lundi 19 mai 2014 21:18:54 UTC+2, Tim Golden a écrit :
Sorry, but I'm even not able to understand how to install pip! Py3.3,
why? because I already all the Qt derivative.

I found the pip manual, I do not get it! To install pip: To install
or upgrade pip, securely download get-pip.py. Where? What should I do
with it?

Ah, I understand. I thought you already had pip and just had
difficulties beyond that. Frankly, yes, bootstrapping pip on Windows can
be a bit frustrating. That's why 3.4 comes with a version pre-installed.
But you say you want to stay with 3.3.

If it's possible, download get-pip.py from here:

https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

(linked from here: http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing.html)

using wget, curl, File Save As, python requests, urllib.urlretrieve or
whatever other method you choose.

And then run the get-pip.py program with the version of Python for which
you wish to install pip. eg,

c:\python33\python.exe get-pip.py

That will download the current versions of everything needed and will
put various flavours of pip.exe into c:\python33\scripts. As I mentioned
before, I've tended not to have the scripts directory on my path, and
you can instead do:

py -3.3 -mpip install ....

I think some people have put together .msi/.exe installers for this but
I can't point to any one in particular.

TJG

Frank Millman

Tim Golden said:
I've reported on the PyPA issues list for pip:

https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1823

but, as you can see from that report, I was only able to get a failure
in one circumstance. I can successfully download via FF29, IE11 & chrome
whatever, all on Win7.

I have never managed to install pip before (not that I have tried very hard)
but following
your instructions I seemed to have installed it successfully, using Windows
Server 2003,
IE8, and python 3.3.

I used it to install IPython, with the following results.

First I ran 'pip install ipython', which worked.

Then I read the IPython docs, which gave the following command to install
Notebook -
'pip install ipython[notebook]'

That seemed to work, but when I ran 'ipython notebook' it failed on 'import
pyzmq'.

I ran 'pip install pyzmq', tried again, and it failed on 'import jinja2'.

I used pip to install that, then it failed on 'import tornado'.

I used pip to install that, and now it seems to be working.

Now I understand why 'pip' is so popular - despite the above hiccups, it
felt very smooth.

Thanks for the instructions, Tim - much appreciated.

Frank Millman

Rustom Mody

I've reported on the PyPA issues list for pip:

https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1823
Thanks

but, as you can see from that report, I was only able to get a failure

in one circumstance. I can successfully download via FF29, IE11 & chrome

whatever, all on Win7.

Seems to be working for me also (now).

[Without claiming any understanding]...

I dont know what wget has to do with it (in the bug report)
I just opened it in firefox: Earlier it didn't work now its working

Dennis Lee Bieber

linear algebra, expanding and factoring equations of all degrees.
Geometry.
Without significant add-in libraries, probably not...

"Expanding and factoring equations" -- to me -- implies /symbolic
algebra systems/.

Python can compute results of equations, but it won't, natively,
reformulate equations.

Linear algebra tends to turn into matrix manipulation, as I recall...
Again, not a native feature.

Robert Kern

Sounds to me like you really want something like Maple, Mathematica, or
similar. Try http://www.scilab.org/

Can do heaps of stuff, too. For free.

And with Python!

http://sagemath.org/

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Robert Kern

Without significant add-in libraries, probably not...

"Expanding and factoring equations" -- to me -- implies /symbolic
algebra systems/.

Python can compute results of equations, but it won't, natively,
reformulate equations.

Linear algebra tends to turn into matrix manipulation, as I recall...
Again, not a native feature.

But all easily available with well-established open source packages. Just
because it's not in the standard library doesn't mean that Python isn't a
suitable language for doing this stuff.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

chris.barker

I used it to install IPython, with the following results.

First I ran 'pip install ipython', which worked.

Then I read the IPython docs, which gave the following command to install

Notebook -

'pip install ipython[notebook]'

the reason for this is that the notebook has additional dependencies beyond what "plain" ipython requires. adding the [notebook] is supposed to bring those in, but apparetnly did not.

So this is either a bug, or maybe the problem is that you had already installed ipython, so when you did :
'pip install ipython[notebook]'

pip looked and saw that you already had it, so did nothing -- what did it report? In this caes:

'pip install -U ipython[notebook]'

might have worked: -U means upgrade even if I already have it.

But I"m glad the rest of the pip installs worked, that's pretty new actually!

Note that the "scipy stack" and particularly extra add-on stuff like 3-d visualization, etc, is very hard to build and install -- so a number of folks rely on "distributions" that give you all that in one pile:

Enthought Canopy
Continuum Anaconda

are two such options.

Very odd that pip being hard to figure out might send someone to MS C#:

Is there really a point and clic, out of the box high level interactive computational environment that MS delivers for C# ;-)

Not that we don't need the installation of packages made even easier, but really!

-Chris

wxjmfauth

Le jeudi 22 mai 2014 01:14:29 UTC+2, (e-mail address removed) a écrit :
[...]

=========
=========

Hi Chris, do you remember me? Look at the adress wxjm...

I wanted to test wxPhoenix. Unable to install it, whl...?

If you do not need tester(s) (and a little bit more) put it
it clearly in the wxPython front page.

I just type

"wx python wxphoenix download" in google.

Results, first entry:

Can someone tell me how to download wxPython Phoenix ...

jmf

PS The latest version of wxPython I tested fails due to
the coding of characters, you should not be suprised,
and you probably remember how many times I tried to
explain it.

Frank Millman

pip looked and saw that you already had it, so did nothing -- what did it
report? In this caes:

'pip install -U ipython[notebook]'

might have worked: -U means upgrade even if I already have it.

Indeed it did - thanks for the tip.

I used pip to uninstall jinja2. Afterwards, running 'ipython notebook'
predictably failed.

Then I ran the above command to upgrade ipython notebook. It figured out
that jinja2 was missing and re-installed it. Now it works again.

Very smooth.

Frank