Python based barcode readers

Robocop

Does anyone know of any python based barcode readers? I'm looking for
something (commercial or open source) that will use some OCR algorithm
to read barcodes from an image or ps/pdf file, and ideally will be
something along the lines of a callable python script. I have some
pretty simple needs, i'm only trying to read code 93 barcodes, so i
don't need it to be able to identify multiple symbologies or
anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Robocop

I also forgot to mention that it need not be nearly as robust as
something like Jailhelper 2.0, I will not really need to compensate
for noise and irregular conditions. All of my barcodes will be
scanned in a predictable, and consistent environment (i.e. a scanner),
so all i need is some stupid little script that will read the an image
in and decode it.

Mensanator

I also forgot to mention that it need not be nearly as robust as
something like Jailhelper 2.0, I will not really need to compensate
for noise and irregular conditions.  All of my barcodes will be
scanned in a predictable, and consistent environment (i.e. a scanner),
so all i need is some stupid little script that will read the an image
in and decode it.

The readers I've seen do all the decoding internally.
They hook up via a Y-cable to your keyboard and require
absolutely NO code at all on the PC. Anywhere the PC accepts
keyboard input, you can wave the wand instead.

Don't see why you would want to try to decode it yourself.
Trust me, it's a pain in the ass.

Unless you have a raw LED reader.

Are you making one?