    in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.

    You are invited to take part in it at:
    http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    pythonchallenge, Apr 29, 2005

  2. pythonchallenge wrote:
    > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    >
    > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    "temporary end".

    Shane

    P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    mark. :)

    Shane Hathaway, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Shane Hathaway wrote:
    > pythonchallenge wrote:
    >> For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    >> in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    >>
    >> You are invited to take part in it at:
    >> http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    > "temporary end".

    Ironically, I just used Unix tools (tr, grep, sed) for each of the
    puzzles except the first one, and that first one was only because I tend
    to use Python as a convenient calculator anyway :).

    Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
    -- Oscar Wilde

    Erik Max Francis, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Shane Hathaway wrote:
    > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    > "temporary end".
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    > mark. :)

    Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
    solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

    David Murmann, Apr 30, 2005
  5. David Murmann wrote:
    > Shane Hathaway wrote:
    >
    >> That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    >> "temporary end".
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>
    >> P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    >> mark. :)

    > Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
    > solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

    the 'm' is silent ;-)

    Michael Spencer, Apr 30, 2005
  6. pythonchallenge

    darren kirby Guest

    quoth the Shane Hathaway:
    > pythonchallenge wrote:
    > > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    > > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    > >
    > > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    > "temporary end".
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    > mark. :)

    You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's starting to
    hurt my head.

    There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said 'exactly'
    right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
    None of them seem to work...

    I quit ;)

    darren kirby, Apr 30, 2005
  7. pythonchallenge

    bgs Guest

    pythonchallenge wrote:
    > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the

    net.

    > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    That was fun. The very first step in 6 was the most frustrating I
    thought.

    bgs, Apr 30, 2005
  8. darren kirby wrote:
    > quoth the Shane Hathaway:
    >
    >>pythonchallenge wrote:
    >>
    >>>For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    >>>in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    >>>
    >>>You are invited to take part in it at:
    >>>http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    >>That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    >>"temporary end".
    >>
    >>Shane
    >>
    >>P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    >>mark. :)

    > You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's starting to
    > hurt my head.
    >
    > There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said 'exactly'
    > right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
    > None of them seem to work...

    I did the same thing. Now just combine those ten results.

    Shane

    Shane Hathaway, Apr 30, 2005
  9. pythonchallenge

    Mike Rovner Guest

    David Murmann wrote:
    > Shane Hathaway wrote:
    >
    >> That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    >> "temporary end".
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>
    >> P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    >> mark. :)

    > Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
    > solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

    3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
    sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

    Mike

    Mike Rovner, Apr 30, 2005
  10. pythonchallenge

    Mark T Guest

    "pythonchallenge" <> wrote in message
    > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    >
    > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    Excellent puzzles! For others like this see http://www.osix.net. I love
    these things :^)

    Mark T, Apr 30, 2005
  11. pythonchallenge

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Mike Rovner]
    > 3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
    > sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

    Get rid of the newlines first.

    On level 7, I'm not sure whether there's something more to do, or
    whether I'm looking at a bug in how IE displays .png files. Using
    Windows is good practice in solving maddening riddles every day
    <wink>.

    Tim Peters, Apr 30, 2005
  12. pythonchallenge

    Mike Rovner Guest

    Tim Peters wrote:
    > [Mike Rovner]
    >
    >>3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
    >>sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

    > Get rid of the newlines first.
    >
    > On level 7, I'm not sure whether there's something more to do, or
    > whether I'm looking at a bug in how IE displays .png files. Using
    > Windows is good practice in solving maddening riddles every day
    > <wink>.

    There is! That black and white line contains the message.

    Mike

    Mike Rovner, Apr 30, 2005
  13. pythonchallenge wrote:
    > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
    > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.
    >
    > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    Very neat, I love things like this. Level 5 is maddening. Keep up the
    good work.

    Leif K-Brooks, Apr 30, 2005
  14. pythonchallenge

    Dan Bishop Guest

    darren kirby wrote:
    > quoth the Shane Hathaway:
    > > pythonchallenge wrote:
    > > > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take

    part
    > > > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on

    the net.

    > > > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > > > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    > > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an

    abrupt
    > > "temporary end".
    > >
    > > Shane
    > >
    > > P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing

    the
    > > mark. :)

    > You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's

    starting to
    > hurt my head.
    >
    > There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said

    'exactly'
    > right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
    > None of them seem to work...

    The same thing happened to me, but then I figured it out.

    Hint: Print all 10 results in a column.

    Dan Bishop, Apr 30, 2005
  15. Mike Rovner wrote:

    > David Murmann wrote:
    >
    >>Shane Hathaway wrote:
    >>

    >>>That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
    >>>"temporary end".
    >>>
    >>>Shane
    >>>
    >>>P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
    >>>mark. :)

    >>Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
    >>solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

    > 3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
    > sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

    Strange: I don't find eCQQmSXK\n, only eCQQmSxK\n. I guess the data has
    been modified in order to get that potential confusion out of the way.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, Apr 30, 2005
  16. pythonchallenge

    Dan Bishop Guest

    Shane Hathaway wrote:
    > pythonchallenge wrote:
    > > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take

    part
    > > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the

    net.

    > > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an

    abrupt
    > "temporary end".

    They've added at least one more level since yesterday. Unfortunately,
    I'm stuck on it.

    Dan Bishop, May 1, 2005
  17. pythonchallenge

    Dan Bishop Guest

    Dan Bishop wrote:
    > Shane Hathaway wrote:
    > > pythonchallenge wrote:
    > > > For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take

    > part
    > > > in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on

    the
    > net.
    > > >
    > > > You are invited to take part in it at:
    > > > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    > > That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an

    > abrupt
    > > "temporary end".

    > They've added at least one more level since yesterday.

    Unfortunately,
    > I'm stuck on it.

    Correction: Now I'm stuck on Level 11. I think I'm supposed to do
    something with the pixels in the image, but what?

    Dan Bishop, May 1, 2005
  18. Dan Bishop wrote:

    > Dan Bishop wrote:
    >
    > Correction: Now I'm stuck on Level 11. I think I'm supposed to do
    > something with the pixels in the image, but what?

    Me too. I've tried making different images out of the even and the odd
    pixels, but nothing interesting happened. I tried to combine both images
    in various ways (using the Gimp), but that also seemed to be a dead end.

    I don't think we need to concernt ourselves with the individual pixel
    values; otherwise the image would not be a jpeg, it would be a non-lossy
    format instead.

    The forum's tips only go up to 9, so that doesn't help either.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, May 1, 2005
  19. Roel Schroeven wrote:

    > Dan Bishop wrote:
    >

    >>Dan Bishop wrote:
    >>
    >>Correction: Now I'm stuck on Level 11. I think I'm supposed to do
    >>something with the pixels in the image, but what?

    > Me too.

    There's a new image on the website now (still the same name though); I
    solved the riddle now :)

    There's no level 12 yet though.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, May 1, 2005