Python Challenge ahead [NEW] for riddle lovers

Shane Hathaway

pythonchallenge said:
For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.

You are invited to take part in it at:
http://www.pythonchallenge.com

That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
"temporary end".

Shane

P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
mark. :)

Erik Max Francis

Shane said:
That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
"temporary end".

Ironically, I just used Unix tools (tr, grep, sed) for each of the
puzzles except the first one, and that first one was only because I tend
to use Python as a convenient calculator anyway :).

David Murmann

Shane said:
That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
"temporary end".

Shane

P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
mark. :)

Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

Michael Spencer

David said:
Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

the 'm' is silent ;-)

darren kirby

quoth the Shane Hathaway:
That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
"temporary end".

Shane

P.S. I hope I didn't hammer your server on step 3. I was missing the
mark. :)

You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's starting to
hurt my head.

There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said 'exactly'
right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
None of them seem to work...

I quit ;)

bgs

pythonchallenge said:
For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.

You are invited to take part in it at:
http://www.pythonchallenge.com

That was fun. The very first step in 6 was the most frustrating I
thought.

Shane Hathaway

darren said:
quoth the Shane Hathaway:

You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's starting to
hurt my head.

There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said 'exactly'
right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
None of them seem to work...

I did the same thing. Now just combine those ten results.

Shane

Mike Rovner

David said:
Interestingly step 3 is actually wrong... there is an additional
solution, which looks like cqqmsxk. (I don't think that spoils the fun :))

3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

Mike

Tim Peters

[Mike Rovner]
3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

Get rid of the newlines first.

On level 7, I'm not sure whether there's something more to do, or
whether I'm looking at a bug in how IE displays .png files. Using
Windows is good practice in solving maddening riddles every day
<wink>.

Mike Rovner

Tim said:
[Mike Rovner]
3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

Get rid of the newlines first.

On level 7, I'm not sure whether there's something more to do, or
whether I'm looking at a bug in how IE displays .png files. Using
Windows is good practice in solving maddening riddles every day
<wink>.

There is! That black and white line contains the message.

Mike

Leif K-Brooks

pythonchallenge said:
For the riddles' lovers among you, you are most invited to take part
in the Python Challenge, the first python programming riddle on the net.

You are invited to take part in it at:
http://www.pythonchallenge.com

Very neat, I love things like this. Level 5 is maddening. Keep up the
good work.

Dan Bishop

darren said:
quoth the Shane Hathaway:

You're not the only one. This is where I am currently stuck. It's starting to
hurt my head.

There are 478 results in the form *BBBsBBB* but the thing said 'exactly'
right, well there are 10 results in the form *sBBBsBBBs*
None of them seem to work...

The same thing happened to me, but then I figured it out.

Hint: Print all 10 results in a column.

Roel Schroeven

Mike said:
3 IS wrong because if you use any not BIG letter after bodyguard on both
sides, you get extra 'eCQQmSXK\n' which slow me down for 5 minutes.

Strange: I don't find eCQQmSXK\n, only eCQQmSxK\n. I guess the data has
been modified in order to get that potential confusion out of the way.

Dan Bishop

Shane said:
That was pretty fun. Good for a Friday. Too bad it comes to an abrupt
"temporary end".

They've added at least one more level since yesterday. Unfortunately,
I'm stuck on it.

Dan Bishop

Dan said:
the

They've added at least one more level since yesterday. Unfortunately,
I'm stuck on it.

Correction: Now I'm stuck on Level 11. I think I'm supposed to do
something with the pixels in the image, but what?

Roel Schroeven

Dan said:
Dan Bishop wrote:

Correction: Now I'm stuck on Level 11. I think I'm supposed to do
something with the pixels in the image, but what?

Me too. I've tried making different images out of the even and the odd
pixels, but nothing interesting happened. I tried to combine both images
in various ways (using the Gimp), but that also seemed to be a dead end.

I don't think we need to concernt ourselves with the individual pixel
values; otherwise the image would not be a jpeg, it would be a non-lossy
format instead.

The forum's tips only go up to 9, so that doesn't help either.

Roel Schroeven

Roel said:
Dan Bishop wrote:

Me too.

There's a new image on the website now (still the same name though); I
solved the riddle now :)

There's no level 12 yet though.