Python editor/IDE on Linux?

Jack

I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

7

7stud

Jack said:
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

Everybody uses vim.

Christoph Haas

I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

We should do a weekly poll. :) Seriously - this question is coming up
very frequently and everybody has their preference.

Large list:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

My (current) favorite:
pida (exists as a ready package on Debian as derivates like Xubuntu)

pida because it embeds the 'vim' editor which I love and adds useful
features without really getting in my way. And it's the only IDE I found
that supports bazaar-ng (bzr) repositories.

Christoph

Greg Donald

try wing ide. i tried it and i love it. it's available for windows as
well for linux

Good thing those are the only two operating system out there.. err..
I meant, good thing there's Emacs.

Jarek Zgoda

Greg Donald napisa³(a):
Good thing those are the only two operating system out there.. err..
I meant, good thing there's Emacs.

Thanks God, there's no "PIDA for Emacs".

Jack

We should do a weekly poll. :) Seriously - this question is coming up
very frequently and everybody has their preference.

Maybe a web page, something like pythonidepoll.com :)

I apologize for bringing up this FAQ once again ;-p
My (current) favorite:
pida (exists as a ready package on Debian as derivates like Xubuntu)

pida because it embeds the 'vim' editor which I love and adds useful
features without really getting in my way. And it's the only IDE I found
that supports bazaar-ng (bzr) repositories.

pida screenshots look neat. It's not in xubuntu's repository though. Not
even in universe.
I installed from the source. When running it, I get an error "Service not
found. Tried to
access non-existing service filemanager"

Jarek Zgoda

Greg Donald napisa³(a):
No problem.

Pet Industry Distributors Association ?

Pfscking Ifscking Dfscking Afscking beste Editor unter die Sun ist der Vim!

(they would try to convince you die PIDA means something mehr enjoyable,
aber it's still der Vim)

king kikapu

I experiment with Ubuntu nowadays, and i find my Windows combination a
realy win also there,
Eclipse and PyDev.

Jarek Zgoda

Jack napisa³(a):
pida screenshots look neat. It's not in xubuntu's repository though. Not
even in universe.
I installed from the source. When running it, I get an error "Service not
found. Tried to
access non-existing service filemanager"

I wouldn't recommend PIDA to nobody except real hardcore Vim lovers. If
you don't mint occasional crashes, then PIDA might be for you, but don't
expect increased productivity, as this is an alpha-quality software and
most of expected functionality simply doesn't work as expected.

This is an ongoing project and they (community, testers, developers)
strive to make it better, but this is a completely "spare-time" project
AFAIK. Download it, install it, try to use it, report bugs and
omissions, help them make this software better. We would all profit. :)

Bruno Desthuilliers

Jack a écrit :
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?

Strange as it might be, not everybody's using the same editor.
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux.

Oh yes ? Why so ?

<holywar topic='editor'>The best code editor ever is of course
emacs,</holywar>, but you may want to give Eric3 a try.

Paulo da Silva

Jack escreveu:
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.
eric3 is nice and simple.

Michael Hoffman

Jack said:
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?

I'll let you in on a little secret. We all use Emacs. Those who claim to
use vim are just trying to prevent you from ever becoming a successful
Python programmer, and therefore reduce competition.