Python editor/IDE on Linux?

Ben Finney

Michael Hoffman said:
I'll let you in on a little secret. We all use Emacs. Those who
claim to use vim are just trying to prevent you from ever becoming a
successful Python programmer, and therefore reduce competition.

I use Emacs, with Vim emulation, running with WordStar keybindings, on
a Dvorak keymapping. It took me seven years to learn how to use it,
but it was worth it. Keeps the pesky workmates from using my computer.

Paddy

I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

When the Linux distros wanted an editor, they did not choose Emacs or
emaacs vi mode.
They chose vim.

Emacs users:
Margaret Thatcher,
Nixon,
The Joker.
Max Wall.

Vim users:
Nelson Mandella,
Ghandi,
Isambard Kingdom Brunel,
Batman.
The Silver Surfer.
Edison.
Max Planck

Notepad user:
G.W. Bush.

See, it's clear!

- Paddy ;-)

Kevin Walzer

Jack said:
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

Why not IDLE?

Jorge Godoy

"Emacs makes a good OS, but a lousy editor."

Yep. Emacs comes with a lot of those funny phrases. It is so good that
it even helps people using other editors to have some fun. ;-)

Carl K

Jack said:
I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

I use spe - it is in universe.

Has some rough edges, but in general I like it enough to recommend it.

Carl K

mystilleef

I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good. Not sure if
there's something handy like that on Linux. I need to do some
development work on Linux and the distro I am using is Xubuntu.

Try Scribes:

Flash Demo: http://scribes.sf.net/demo.htm

It's writing in Python and can extended with Python plugins.

Daniel Gee

In Linux I just use Gedit. In windows I settle for Notepad2. With
python having help built into the interpreter, anything more than line
numbering, simple syntax highlighting, and auto-indent when you hit
enter just doesn't seem necessary. Vim has b and c, but not a.

Using Kate for Python would probably be very similar to using Gedit
(from my limited experience with Kate).

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Dotan Cohen said:
Has anyone any experience with Python in Kate or Kdevelop?

I'm using Kate/KWrite quite often. Syntax highlighting and an auto
indention for Python are standard features. The only "extra" I'm using is
the word completion plug-in to spare myself too much typing and limit
typing errors in long names.

Along with the editor there's always a terminal with IPython running to
test and explore my own code and libraries.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Paddy

In Linux I just use Gedit. In windows I settle for Notepad2. With
python having help built into the interpreter, anything more than line
numbering, simple syntax highlighting, and auto-indent when you hit
enter just doesn't seem necessary. Vim has b and c, but not a.

I'm not sure of what you are numbering, but vim does have:
* Line numbering.
* Syntax highlighting.
* Auto-indenting.

7

7stud

anything more than line
numbering, simple syntax highlighting, and auto-indent when you hit
enter just doesn't seem necessary. Vim has b and c, but not a.

a:
<esc>:set nu
<esc>:set nonu

Daniel Gee

didn't know that one. Perhaps I'll look into Gvim (I still like to cut
and paste with the mouse, even if I left that off my list).

Paddy

didn't know that one. Perhaps I'll look into Gvim (I still like to cut
and paste with the mouse, even if I left that off my list).

In gvim you can use a mouse-1-drag to select text then mouse-2 at the
position you want to copy the text to.

- Paddy.

Joshua J. Kugler

I wonder what everybody uses for Python editor/IDE on Linux?
I use PyScripter on Windows, which is very good.

I'm using WingWare's WingIDE. Visual debugger, python-scriptable,
projects, code-completion that is second-to-none (I LOVE it.). And a very
responsive support team. Yes, it's commercial, but it's cheaper than
Komodo, and works a lot better for Python.

Plus, it's written in Python, so the developers eat their own dog food.
During the development cycle for 3.0 (it's at Alpha 1 right now*), all they
used to development was the active code base.

*I'm using 3.0a1 right now for my development work, and have not had a
single crash or glitch. It's good stuff.